Weber carb question

Post by Tercel Marseille »

Hello,
i've bought this carb on ebay :

"Toyota 2TC 3TC 3A 4A Corolla Tercel Weber Carb kit"

" This Redline kit contains the following:

(1) 32/36 DGEV Genuine European Weber Carburetor jetted for the Toyota
(1) Adaptor Plate and related hardware
(1) Linkage Kit for the accelerator cable.
(1) K&N Style Chrome Filter Assembly
(1) Instructions"

I hope it's the good carb for my toyota tercel 4wd from 1987 with a 3A engine.

I know that there are many topics about weber carbs adaptation but it's so hard for me to understand all the things you said.
So, when i'll receive my carb, maybe i need some help.
Just a question for the moment : with this carb, must i make a hole in the hood of my car ? and isn't it so hard to put this carb on my car ?
Excuse me for the mistakes, i hope you understand me :roll:
Thanks. :wink:
Julien
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Weber carb question

Post by Mattel »

Hi Julien,

probably the most comprehensive weber conversion post is this one:
viewtopic.php?t=1112

to answer your questions.

1. No. You do not need to put a hole in the hood of the car but you do need to get the short element which is square and I think measures 1.5" high. I am not sure if this is the one you have.

2. the 2 areas that people seem to have issues with are

A/emissions plumbing for the old carb (do you have emission testing?-as this maybe an issue) some people remove all the old hoses etc (see link)
B/The accelerator linkage. You have the link as part of your kit so you should be OK.

good luck - keep on sending the photo's through and any questions.

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

I'll try to do my best and i'll tell you the final result...
trevmountain
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 4wd, 2 inch exhaust

Post by trevmountain »

I just did this to my 87 3a so I can definently help you along the way.
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

Thanks a lot !
For the moment I wait for it, maybe in the beginning of the next week :twisted:
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

Hello :D
I've done it :mrgreen:
I'll send picts during the next week.
maybe i'll need help to regulate it (full/air bend)
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Congrats man!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

My Tercel is getting it's Weber on this week as well! I'm only getting 23mpg right now.. hoping this will help a little.. If not at least it will be faster. Part of me thinks that messing with the toyotoness will lead down the road to unreliability and full engine rebuild! :D
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

Here are pics :

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like a nice clean installation. How does it run?

Also, most recommend you put in a fuel regulator to lower the incoming fuel pressure (the stock fuel pump can over power the weber float and valve). It does not appear you put on a fuel pressure regulator between the pump and the carb.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Julien - Congrats! Thanks for the photos!
I am in the process of installing a Weber on Goldie, even as we speak (OK - type).
Couple of questions:
1. I note a specific air cleaner clip is missing; mine hits the hood at the same place - removed for some clearance?
...Do you have any clearance? I have none, and had to cut the hood bracing for some room.
2. It appears the carb vac port has a line which leads to a tube protruding from the EGR ports - true? Why?
3. There is a line leading from the manifold "gas filter" to a device on the fender; what is it and why?
4. Is the silver cylinder on the firewall in the fuel line a regulator - or is it an additional filter?
5. The electric choke is not connected - why?
6. It is difficult to tell from the pictures - does your distributor have a vacuum source connection?
7. Did you have to drill out/enlarge the holes in the adapter plate & carb to accomodate the bolts? I did, and it was
...quite an irritation.

How does it seem to run?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

ARCHINSTL wrote:Julien - Congrats! Thanks for the photos!
I am in the process of installing a Weber on Goldie, even as we speak (OK - type).
Couple of questions:
1. I note a specific air cleaner clip is missing; mine hits the hood at the same place - removed for some clearance?
...Do you have any clearance? I have none, and had to cut the hood bracing for some room.
2. It appears the carb vac port has a line which leads to a tube protruding from the EGR ports - true? Why?
3. There is a line leading from the manifold "gas filter" to a device on the fender; what is it and why?
4. Is the silver cylinder on the firewall in the fuel line a regulator - or is it an additional filter?
6. It is difficult to tell from the pictures - does your distributor have a vacuum source connection?
7. Did you have to drill out/enlarge the holes in the adapter plate & carb to accomodate the bolts? I did, and it was
...quite an irritation.

How does it seem to run?
Tom M.
For the moment, I can't understand all your questions. A friend of mine will translate them and so i will be able to answer to you. Sorry :roll:
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

Tercel Marseille wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote:Julien - Congrats! Thanks for the photos!
Couple of questions:
...quite an irritation.

How does it seem to run?

Excuse me for the delay :roll:

1 - I have lost a binding, where can I order one ? and I would also like to buy one or two air filters for spare parts.

2 - I did not understand the question, can you reformulate it?

3 - I did not understand the question, can you reformulate it?

4 - It is a « eurocat » type fuel catalyser

5 - If the electric choke is an automatic starter, I don’t now how to connect it. Can you help me?

6 - I did not understand the question, can you reformulate it ?

7 - It has been difficult to install this adaptator but I did not have to enlarge the holes

For now, the car runs better, the engine runs more regularly and it feels like it is more powerful. Despite the cold weather in the Alpes, I could start it without the automatic starter.

Nevertheless it is still very, too much, fuel consuming. Will the fuel pressure regulator correct this problem?
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member

Petros wrote:looks like a nice clean installation. How does it run?

Also, most recommend you put in a fuel regulator to lower the incoming fuel pressure (the stock fuel pump can over power the weber float and valve). It does not appear you put on a fuel pressure regulator between the pump and the carb.
Where can I buy this regulator ? What is the price? Is it easy to install?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Julien -
As to the regulator: I used the same as did splatterdog - a Holley 12-804, which was USD30 from Advance auto parts. Here is a link to Holley's International dealer page. Check the menu; there are none listed in France, but there are some in The Netherlands and Germany. http://www.holley.com/dealers/Internati ... ocator.asp
I also used a Mr. Gasket gauge, model 1561. Again, no dealers in France, but here is the link to dealers in Europe: http://www.mr-gasket.com/DealerLookup.a ... ntryID=all. It was USD17, also from Advance - but I actually think it was superfluous.
The regulator was easy to install. Just use regular brass plumbing connections. Get them tight! Again, see the "Weberiffic" thread of splatterdog. With it mounted on the fender, you can reverse the fuel inlet on the front of the carb (not mentioned in the instructions) to move the fuel line away from the engine - cooler and maybe a little safer?
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... weberiffic

Clarification - hopefully.
1. Clip for air cleaner...What I did for the front clips to save a little space, was to drill holes through the housing, do a bit of a countersink, and inserted long skinny bolts through the housing; not much clearance for them, but they worked. Otherwise, I'd think any place in Europe that sells Weber could supply the clips? Maybe just make them from some springy steel?
2. The line from the carb vacuum port at its base is connected to a steel tube which protrudes from where the EGR valve used to be connected to the manifold (under the heat shield). Why?
3. The vac line from the "gas filter" on the top front of the manifold leads to something on the fender, which looks like just a flat plate/piece of metal. What is it?
4. I understand you!
5. I presume your car originally had an electric choke on the OE Aisan carb? Just connect that wire to the new choke. I do not see the wire in your photos. Refer to the Weber info on T4WD's home page for photos. It needs to be hooked up to electricity from the ignition switch - I think there was info in the instructions on this.
6. Do you have vacuum connected to the distributor for advancing it? Unless - it is from what appears to be a tube running off from the EGR port at a 45 degree angle to the left? True?
7. Well - I had to drill out the holes in the adapter plate AND carb for the adapter plate's studs. PITA !

The Weber seems to be cold-blooded, compared to the Aisan - it takes a while to warm up and coughs a bit in the cold (just about 0 to -12C, so not too cold. I would think the Alps would be much colder!).

As to the fuel consumption - and I am NO expert with jets and things - could it be that the carb was sent with jets for lowlands and not high altitudes as in the Alps? I don't know if this would be the case, but I think it could be a possiblity - maybe some of the wiser Weber-members could weigh in on this...
The word is that the Toy fuel pump puts out 7psi or so, and the Weber needs but 3.5 +/- psi, so maybe that is part of the problem as well? Maybe the regulator could help here - I do not know - I thought it was to prevent leakage from the carb due to excessive pressure, though. My gauge shows just about 2.0 - sometimes 2.5 psi, no matter where I turn the regulator's adjuster. My fuel pump was new from Advance in September of 2008, so not worn out.
I have only used two tanks of fuel so far, but am getting about 29-30 MPG (about 12.3-12.4 km per L or 7.8L per 100km). I still have more tuning to do, so do expect somewhat more.
Hope this helps.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain