finally went to the local u-pull-it...

Post here about...well...anything!
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

finally went to the local u-pull-it...

Post by thebigbread »

I finally went to a u-pull-it in tillmans corner. I was actually going there to get parts for the isuzu, but i went to the toyota section to see what they had. i found:

1 1987 Corolla FX16
2 AE86s (one sr5 and one gts)
1 tercel 4wd wagon
1 tercel 5-door hatchback (4-speed, i think)
2 MR2s

and then when i left there was a tercel wagon parked next to my dads truck. believe it or not, thats only the 3rd wagon (running, that is) that ive ever seen, not including mine.

also saw a Fiat, a Yugo, and an isuzu CAR! :shock:
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I almost bought an Isuzu Impulse (a cool coupe) in 1986, but opted for a 626 5-door - needed the extra room for bikes. The Impulse was pretty neat. Isuzu also made some pedestrian econoboxes.
Brief Wiki-description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Piazza
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Wow! Good finds! It's unusual to find a nice 80's toyota mix like that. Nows your chance to do a 4age swap. :D
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I went for the first time to a new Pull-a-part near me (it just opened a few weeks ago), I needed an exhaust manifold for the Corolla. They had a good selection of Toys including a Tercel4wd in great shape. I could not tell why it was there, it was an '86 with the 6 speed trans, and cruise control! I am thinking about nabbing the trans, though the clock indicates 240k miles, though it appears the trans is from a different car.

Among other things there was a newer tercel (not sure the year) that had a twin cam 16-valve EFI engine with factory distributorless ignition! That means no distributor off the back of the head, in fact it had a nice compact intake and exhaust manifold, it looks like it might fit in the old Tercel. I do not recall the engine type, but it was 2.0 liters and it has the starter in the same place as our 4wds, though it is a totally different block (the oil filter is way up front where our A/C mounts). It appears the bell housing mounts are the same, but the front mounts are totally different. They only get $150 for an engine and I am temped to get it, but it is not clear how much work this would be to convert. At the least it might be possible to adapt this distributorless ignition to the 4AFE or AGE engine to get it work in our car.

Does anyone know anything about this engine? What is the same or different than ours? Is this distrubuorless ignition controlled by the same computer that controls the fuel injection system or are they separate?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

GTSSportCoupe wrote:Wow! Good finds! It's unusual to find a nice 80's toyota mix like that. Nows your chance to do a 4age swap. :D
yeah, im thinking about getting the one from the corolla gts. its 163 dollars for the whole engine. TVIS too.

but first i want to pick up a manual transmission for my tercel, that way i wont have to convert it to manual after the engine swap.

distributorless ignition?!? that must be a newer tercel, at least a 95. 5EFE? maybe 5EFHE.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet