A Slightly Different Take on a 4AC Tercel...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
neonsport
Top Notch Member

A Slightly Different Take on a 4AC Tercel...

Post by neonsport »

This one caught my eye while I was browsing through ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-T ... dZViewItem
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

My sister has a white '93 Tercel coupe, but it ain't anything like that one! :D
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

nice, dry sump 4A-C
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

has any body seen that intake manifold for sale anywhere ?????
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Told you that there 3AC was basically a racin' engine..... :D
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

shogun wrote:has any body seen that intake manifold for sale anywhere ?????
I think that one is custom, but i have seen one in some pictures of club 4ac.
I can't remember for sure, but for some other toyota engine you can get a dual side draft webber manifold, and it looks like it might fit on a 4a-c
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

if any body knows, please send me a link before i start fabricating thanks
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I thought that model of tercel had a transverse engine with front wheel drive. If so this is a highly modified drive train. Also that head looks odd, I just bought a 1990 corolla All-trac (of course) for my wife that has a 4-AFE engine w/16-valves and EFI (nice set-up!). The head on the racing Tercel is totally different than the one in our Corolla, though it looks like a flow-through head, it appears single cam shaft.

BTW, I did a rear oil seal change on the corolla and I noticed that the crank has a six bolt flywheel, the tercel 3-AC flywheel bolts right up (I tried it out since I happen to have a 3-AC flywheel handy). Elsewhere on this forum someone posted that they had to modify the 3-ac flywheel to take eight bolts to fit on a 4-a engine. It appears this is not necessary for at least some models of the 4-engine. It appears the same from below the head. Unfortunately it would take a major alteration to make that 16-valve fit, the exhaust has to go right where the starter is on the Terc, also the EFI manifold will not fit because the throttle body is too far aft to clear the fire wall. So even though the short block will bolt on, we need to find a head that will fit in the Terc that will breath better than the 3-a head.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

they are, its been modified to be RWD with a SOHC 4A-C engine, exact same engine as the tercel has, main differance being 100CC's extra displacement.

Petros wrote:I thought that model of tercel had a transverse engine with front wheel drive. If so this is a highly modified drive train. Also that head looks odd, I just bought a 1990 corolla All-trac (of course) for my wife that has a 4-AFE engine w/16-valves and EFI (nice set-up!). The head on the racing Tercel is totally different than the one in our Corolla, though it looks like a flow-through head, it appears single cam shaft.

BTW, I did a rear oil seal change on the corolla and I noticed that the crank has a six bolt flywheel, the tercel 3-AC flywheel bolts right up (I tried it out since I happen to have a 3-AC flywheel handy). Elsewhere on this forum someone posted that they had to modify the 3-ac flywheel to take eight bolts to fit on a 4-a engine. It appears this is not necessary for at least some models of the 4-engine. It appears the same from below the head. Unfortunately it would take a major alteration to make that 16-valve fit, the exhaust has to go right where the starter is on the Terc, also the EFI manifold will not fit because the throttle body is too far aft to clear the fire wall. So even though the short block will bolt on, we need to find a head that will fit in the Terc that will breath better than the 3-a head.