Choke Question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Choke Question

Post by coltarms »

Since replacing my carb, I've noticed that my choke works differently. With the old carb, I would set the choke, turn the key, and the tach would sit at about 1500-2000 rpm. It would then slowly creep up to about 3000rpm, and then fall off to 1200 or below (idle.) With the new carb, it starts off the same, creeps up to 3000rpm, and then sits there until I kick the gas pedal, manually removing the choke. I also notice that I seem to have more of an exhaust cloud upon warming up, though that may be unrelated to the carb.

Any suggentions before I tear into it?
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

bump?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Sounds like mine, expect that your idle is way high. My idle sits about 850. It'll go up to about 2800 and stay there until I bump it down. As far as I'm aware, this is how our fast-idle is supposed to work.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think you adjust the idle at the back of the carb...the fast idle in the front...but you have to remove the air cleaner.

With my manual choke...I have a more reasonable fast idle...and a reliable idle when warm.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

This is normal operation for the automatic choke. It will idle fast until you "bump" or jab the throttle padel after it warms up, when it should drop down to the normal warm idle speed [about 850 for a normal engine, mine is about 950 because of cam shaft]. A worn carb may need a slighly higher idle to run smooth.

The fast idle adjestment is a screw on a little spring loaded bracket on the throttle shaft right behind where the throttle cable bell crank is attached (there is a short link going up to the choke assembly on it). You do not need to remove the air cleaner to adjust the fast idle but you do have to rotate the throttle about half way to get a screw driver on it from the right side of the car.

After it warms up, and you jab the throttle pedal, it should drop the throttle to rest on the the main idle adjuster screw. This is on this same side of the throttle shaft right up against the carb housing, it is also accessed from the right side of the carb. You can see it with a flash light at the base of the of the carb. It can be adjusted while it is idling with a long screw driver.

hope this helps.

Peter
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)