Pink fluid dripping from the engine bay

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Pink fluid dripping from the engine bay

Post by scotisha »

So I was taking off the electric oil pan heater this morning when I noticed pink fluid dripping from the skid plate. I am not very car literate so I am going to need some help to figure what it is and what i should do.

When you are looking at the engine bay from the front of the car the leak is from a the left side of the bay. I am going to look again at lunch to see exactly where the drip is comming from (It was dark this morning).

I was doing some reading and it is either tranny fluid, power steering fluid, or coolant.

Please help me diagnose and fix this problem before it becomes a PROBLEM!

Thanks in advance...
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

only if it is an automatic will the transmission fluid be red. Otherwise, it's just a heavy oil.

Maybe check your power steering and the others to see their color?

oh, and transmission and p/s fluids are more of a oilish consistancy, where coolant is more like water.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Thanks brianp

It is a standard so that rules out the transmission (whew :D ). I will have a look at the power steering levels at lunch. It is a bright clear pink so I guess it is the coolant. How do I go about checking that?

Thanks

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Do you mean the skid plate at the back of the transmission, or the plastic undertray between the radiator and the engine?
Not to be disingenuous, but the steering rack, if leaking/squirting, should be moist/wet around the rack hoses/tubes. Someone (Typrus?) did a write-uo on flushing/bleeding the rack.
If you look inside the radiator cap you should see the color of that fluid. You might try tightening all clamps as a first (and hopefully, only) step. I had a leak at the upper hose clamp which was tiny, but kept dripping on the lower hose, causing me to think it was that hose.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Could be the front seal of the power steering pump, or one of the hoses.
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

This is going to sound like a silly one, but if it's a manual transmission, the only pink fluid I can think of is windshield washer fluid.

My power steering fluid is a yellowish oil, not like anything I've ever seen before.

Check to see what color washer fluid is in the reservoir. I'd be willing to bet it's pink.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

My washer fluid is a murky colour now (pink+blue+green=blech).

I looked at the rad fluid and it is pink (thanks ARCHINSTL) and there is a tiny pool of pink fluid under the rad. I am going to wait until I get the car into a garage to warm up before I start to wiggle and tignten hoses.

Thanks all!