Turn signals and 4-ways

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Logbear
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Toyota Tercel 4WD StaWag

Turn signals and 4-ways

Post by Logbear »

All of sudden my turn signals and 4-ways quit working. I think I had the turn signal on and put the 4-ways on at the same time. Could that have done something. All the fuses are good. I removed the flasher unit but haven't found a replacement yet. I'm not really convinced it's the flasher unit though. Any ideas?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Usually either the flasher or some of the bulbs are corroded. I think. $2-3 for the flasher.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

The question is, do your headlights and parking lights still work?

If they don't, then the problem is your multifunction switch, which is the assembly which controls your signals, 4ways, hi/lo beam function, headlights & parking lights.

If they do, then it IS your flasher unit. Which, as takza mentioned is uber cheep.

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
Logbear
Advanced Member

Post by Logbear »

Yes, headlights, parking lights, and brake lights all work fine. The local generic auto parts store didn't have the flasher unit, but I'll keep trying to find one today.
Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

A flasher from any 80's tercel of corolla will work. There is nothing listed for our cars. try a 88 Corolla.

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
Logbear
Advanced Member

Post by Logbear »

I replaced the flasher unit. I had to go to NAPA, and even then the one listed in their book wasn't the right one. But by comparing the one I had with diagrams in their books we figured out which one I needed. My 86 Tercel uses one flasher for both the turn signals and 4-ways.

After I replaced the flasher I tried the turn signals and at first they didn't work but I heard a faint clicking (kind of like a buzzing) sound in the turn signal/4-way switch area. I had left the 4-way switch on accidentally. I turned the 4-way switch off and the turn signals worked fine. But the 4-ways still don't work when I flip that switch on. Now I'm not sure if it was the flasher unit. I think it's the 4-way switch that's bad and that makes the turn signals not work when the switch is on.

Anyway, I have turn signals again, and that's all I really need. Maybe someday when I feel like crawling under the dash I'll swap the flasher unit back to the old one and see what happens.