3AS Swap, Tercel 86 4WD AT

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Be sure to keep oil in the cups too. That is probably the biggest problem with the SU carbs, people forget to check the oil in them.

Nice looking job though. I wonder what the cam profile looks like and if you can get one here in the states.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Are they actual SU carbs, or is the S just a Toyota designation? What is an SU carb? I'm confused!! Carbs that need oil?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Oh so young. An SU carburator is a side draft, variable venturi carburetor that was popular in British sports cars, like the Austin Healey's or MG's. It was a very efficient carburetor for its day, but it was high maintenance. It needed about 1 CC of oil added to the cup at the top every month. The oil kept the venturis lubricated so they could slide up and down.

They were made in Japan by one of the Japanese manufacturers and were popular on the sporty cars in the 60's. When I lived there, I had a 68 Bluebird SSS that a pair of SU type carburetors on it. This was one very highly respected car in its day. It was like the 510 sedan sold in the US, but the engine was the same as the one that was winning all the U2000 Trans AM races at the time.

If I hadn't been out to sea so much toward the end of my tour, I was going to pull the engine and take it apart and clean it and pack it into my household goods to be shipped back to the states. Then I was going to buy a 510 here to put it into. I hardly ever got to open it up over there.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

And boy, it was so easy to maintain compared to other "normal" carbs of the day - the latter more similar to ours.
Sooo simple and almost idiot-proof - as long as one did not bend the piston's needle.

The "SU" stood for "Skinner Union," and was first used back in the 'teens of the last century.
A lot of non-sporty BritMobiles used them as well - witness all of the Morris Minors - don't recall if used in the Minis.
I recall seeing a couple on some of the Big Bentleys of the '20s - they made the Morris/MG carbs look like demitasse cups...and NO, I was not present when these cars debuted...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain