Steering Stiffness

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Steering Stiffness

Post by coltarms »

My steering seems to have developed some stiff spots. I turn the wheel (moving or still) and the wheel really doesn't want to turn, then it turns really quick and then doesn't want to straighten (correct itself) out when I let it go. Any thoughts before I tear into it? It's not power steering.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Before you dive into the most expensive part, there is a U-joint between the gear box and the steering column. What you describe sounds like this part is binding. This could be dangerous if you are driving it.

Other things could be binding it the tilt mechanism, adjust the tilt and see if it gets better. Could be a tie rod end, ball joint, loose upper bolt on the bottom of the strut.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You say it isn't a Power Steering equipped car or you don't think its the P/S? If the latter, it sounds very much like low fluid causing air bubbles. If the former, I'd think to blame the U-joints. Maybe try putting some graphite lube into them or the likes to start to see if it helps? Grease will just attract dust with an open arrangement like ours.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

its called a slip yoke, mine was replaced years ago when the old one developed excessive free-play.

check the tie rods, get some pliars, and if its difficult to turn them forwards and backwards, it would be an indication, if it seems OK, you could remove the slip yoke and inspect it by hand.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've got the manual steering. Soak the universal right above the rack in some light oil...they can get stiff enough to cause this. See if the problem goes away. If you lube it and keep it lubed...it will last a long time yet.

I had to replace mine cause it got loose...found one from a power steering Tercel that fit.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

mine developed stiff spots because it was slightly bent, put in another one and problem fixed
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

my steering is clunky, but not sticky. I was told I need to replace the u-joint part in the steering shaft.
Is it easy to replace?
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Not too bad...use lots of penetrant. The replacement should be from a car with PS...the manual steering puts a lot of stress on this part.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...