My car didn't pass smog inspection - Help!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Its supposed to be fully bound by tie-down straps or chains on all 4 corners... At minimum, 4 of them...

The best way to determine mileage is to top off then drive for a while then top off again. Then you know you're filling up with more or less the same amount of fuel.

Some people are just ignorant about it. Nothing wrong with that. Its the morons who are stubborn and tell you you're wrong that really piss me off.

If its pinging like that, something has to be wrong... I never experience ping in mine that I'm aware of. But I'm nearly always above 2k.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I only saw them tie one car down because they were afraid the tire could pop. They never strapped the '83.... and besides, they don't care, they got this big sign saying that they're not responsible for any damage while the car is on the dyno... (engine, drivetrain, axles, etc...)

I only hear pinging when lugging in gear, but never when accelerating w/o lugging. It usually occurs under 2k rpm. I think the head was shaved a couple of times so the compression ratio could be altered. But I dunno. Will try to check the timing again sometime.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

K.
You can still sue for negligence if they screw it up by using improper procedure. At least here you can. Even if you sign a release around here you can slip through that loophole. Dunno about California.

Again, what kind of fuel are you using? My car doesn't run well at anything under midgrade, though I still don't get any pinging.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

retarding the timing won't help. what worked for me was to replace the cat convertor with one that autozone sells. the autozone cat worked on this car and my nagging 84 S-10 pickup. I went right through emissions even though the stock carb was worn out and ran like crap. After installing a weber the car runs great and passes emissions even cleaner.
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Typrus, I'm running on 89 octane, which is midgrade. My dad was tempted yesterday to fill it with 87 octane. So what you're saying is that yours does not ping at all? Not even when lugging? I'm thinking carbon build up could be a problem as it has sat long periods of time with short startups and long idle durations. I would know for sure if I checked the compression but right now I don't have $30 to spend on a compression gauge.

I believe there's a universal cat that they install on cars. They look the same, but they don't resemble the OEM one at all... I've been quoted for $85 to replace the cat. How often do you people that have to go through emissions replace the cat convertor?

The car idles much better after the rebuild, I just have to get it to idle at 800 rpm and it'll be good to go. I'm even surprised it idles well at 700 rpm. It should run better with the new ignition components I have been tarrying to install.

Good news is that the clutch has been improving and the car no longer smokes and stutters on start up. It was the PCV valve that was causing that. I have faith that all will go well... then I'll have to worry about emissions again in another two years.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Did you get it to pass?

Hard to say. Mine doesn't ping, but she sure doesn't run as well as she likely should.

A cat should last upwards of 20 years if its well made and the car is properly tuned for the duration of its life. If your car is not tuned correctly, a new cat can burn up in a few days.

My cat hollowed itself out. But with how many exhaust leaks I've been having (exh manifold to head and to downtube, back of cat and front of cat... sigh) I dunno if it would ever heat itself up regardless. At least I drive fast enough to not draw that nasty fume in. And nasty it is...

Do you have access to a diagnositc stethoscope? You should listen to the running engine to hear for pings, knocks, howls, whines, scrapes, and other lovely sounds. I personally use a long flat-blade screwdriver with the handle pressed to my ear. Not necessarily recommended, but it sure works,

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

No, it hasn't passed smog yet. Hopefully it will tomorrow.

No wonder we had to replace the cat on the '83 Tercel every time it went through emissions and it was probably due to it running poorly. I mean, the '84 it actually accelerates and with the '83 it was like it was running on a lawn mower engine. I know of a teacher who had a Tercel Wagon 2WD and she described the Tercel's engine as a "lawn mower." Claims it sounded like one too. She had it up in Big Bear in the snow with chains and once it was so loaded down with stuff and wouldn't do more than 61 mph on flat terrain, floored. Good times I suppose. Anyway, I digressed from the main topic...

I don't have access to a diagnostic stethoscope, but I think I've seen one.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The torturing on the dyno is over, it passed! This is the end of a lengthy story. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now to replace the other stuff I have laying around...