3A-SU 1452 fuel delivery, anyone got a repair manual?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hmmmm... My enter key broke......
There it went. N/m... BLARG! Alright. The fuel pump is going to be likely on the pass side of the engine (if its the same as the US, which it ought be) in the very rear. You'll see the 2 fuel lines running off the top of it. You sure its AWD, or 4wd. We are 4wd. Is the engine longitudinal or transverse? Only at high throttle will it run? Hmmm... I suppose its possible the diaphragm in the pump is shot and will only get fuel there at higher revs. But you know what that means? That all the otherwise pumped fuel is ending up in the crankcase! So pull the dipstick and give it a good whiff. If its a heavy gas smell, that'll give you a good idea. If thats the case, don't touch the ignition till you get the pump swapped and oil good and drained. Its also possible your filter is shot. Just follow the lines from the pump. On my Terc's its on the drivers side "frame" rail in the engine bay. If its plugged, the pump might only be able to pass gas (haha) under the higher suction of higher RPMs. Let us know if thats not the case.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

more details will help, whats the problem exactly? it won't idle? or its not getting enough fuel?

start cheap and work your way up, hows the fuel filter? try spraying a can of carb cleaner on the venturi's, check vacuum lines, etc etc etc.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I don't think its the fuel pump. Unless you are squirting gas into the carb to get it started, you would not be able to start it with a really bad fuel pump. There wouldn't be any gas in the carburator to start it with. A bad fuel pump usually causes the engine to cut out under heavy load, when the fuel pump can't keep up with demand.

I think your needle and seat are leaking, or set too high, allowing fuel to spill over into the manifold under low load conditions. Look for a small round window in the side of the carburator. The fuel level in the window should be half way up the window. If its overfilling, you'll need a new needle and seat, or adjust the existing one.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

throw away those bastard carbs i too have that engine here, had to take it off cuz nobody would fix the carbs, the engine is the best one ive tried and ive tried a lot of them, put a couple of vw carbs in the manifold and trow away the emission stuff
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

or dual side draft webers, mmmmmm :P
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Wait a minute, does the SU mean that it has SU carburetors. If so, did you unscrew the top caps and make sure there is oil in them. They usually work pretty good as long as they are kept oiled. Have to do that about once a month.