good starting then rough idle

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Perhaps you are right. The choke breaker, aka choke pull off is usually the cause of this type of problem. There are two pull off circuits on this carburetor. Check all your vacuum lines for cracks and splitting and check the diaphragms for holding vacuum.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

My (Canadian, 1987) non-computerized, 5-spd manual trans wagon has always idled a bit rough when cold, for the first few minutes, particulary after sitting either overnight or for 8 hours or more while I'm at work.

Reason is, I think, that Canadian 5-spd manual wagons do not have the carb float bowl vent to the charcoal canister, so on shutdown all the fuel that evaporates from the bowl is just 'captured' in the air filter assembly. So on a cold start. the carb is running rich until all that evaporated fuel is sucked into the engine and burned. Don't know why Toyota didn't do the float bowl vent to canister thing with our Canadian manual trans wagons.