Whats the best engine to swap into this? 4AC How sweet it is

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote:As far as transmissions go, I think the weak link in this one is 5th gear. Almost all 5 speed transmissions of this era were 4 speeds with an external 5th gear. This transmission has a basic 4 speed case for RWD. Then there is a front section that houses the 5th gear and the differential for the FWD. The shafts have to pass through the front case bearings and the fifth gear cluster is bolted to the shafts. I think they use a roll pin or something to keep each gear in place on its shaft.

My first transmission lost 5th gear only. The 4wd also has a section added to the back with the EL gear and transfer gear. After my OEM transmission was repaired a fork broke. There are 5 forks in this case so I'm guessing they are none to beefy, no room. Right now I'm using a JDM replacement. I'm planning to take the OEM apart just to see what makes it tick.
I think these trans have a pump at the back in the 4WD addon...used to pump oil to the front? Might be partially what grenaded mine...going up rough hills in EL. Back when the SkiWagon discussion was going on...believe someone said this was a weakness in them.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Then maybe partly what we need to concentrate on is oil distribution/retainment in the tranny?
The front diff just has oil slosh into it as far as I know. Go up too steep a slope or park on a steep slope facing forward... Might starve the diff?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

It's hard to tell from the drawings in the FSM, but it appears that the oil has to clear a high hurdle to go from the front differential section to the main section, so I think you'd have to go up a VERY steep incline to drain the differential.

If you fill it in accordance with the FSM, the whole front section fills before any oil spills into the front section. When I've filled it, I stop filling when the main section is full, plug it up and fill the front separately.
Last edited by keith on Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

How sweet it is. Fired it up this morning, purred like a kitten. The Weber hardly needed any adjustment, I messed with it anyway but ended back where I started +/- a quarter turn. Son took it to work so I'll hear more when he gets back.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The 4AC is basically a 3AC...
It's not like we're putting monsters in these things. After all, the 4AC gets complained about just as much as the 3AC in other circles.... I'm not saying that it isn't an improvement, heck, its something like 10%, but still.... I have yet to hear a 4AC in real life, or ride in a car with 4AC in real life that has amazed me beyond all recognition. Sorry for the negativity.

But still.... Let us know.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Here is a semi-final picture of the installation.

No this is not a hot rod, I did not expect that. Cars made in the 70's and 80's did not have the power of newer cars. Fuel injection made a big difference. While this still isn't up to par with the more performance oriented cars, like my son's Spec V, it at least feels more like my Saturn SL. It would be nice if it got the Saturn's mileage (38mpg average) too, but thats not gonna happen. It feels more well balanced now.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

Keith....I tied to describe the difference in the 3A and the 4A numerous times and failed to do it justice but "well Balanced" is the best Ive heard

If you dont have to contend with the smog crap Tenn. like other states then you m,ay want to remove all that crap as I did here in Mississippi. the removal makes a huge difference also, not to mention the looks.

=====Justin=====
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'll likely leave my EGR hooked up whenever I get to this. I don't want it to be too cluttered, but I don't like contributing to the local brown death cloud.

Very clean. Nice.

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I think I will too. I found that colored vacuum diagram in Repair Guides. It looks like the bottom port of the distributor vacuum advance is the supply for the EGR. That means I only have one small hose to replace and it will be working.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Excellent. Where is that diagram? It can be hard to trace the line-diagram under the hood....

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Its on page two of the repair guides by abusedjalopy (?). 2005 posting, California layout, but ours is a Cal car.