Idle problems

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Davesub

Idle problems

Post by Davesub »

Hi all,
I have an 83 with a stock 3A with 245k on the clock.

When the engine is cold the high idle is ok and the engine runs fine.

When the high idle kicks off and the engine is still not up to temp it will die on idle.

When the engine has been run for awhile and up to temp it idles just fine again.

It only dies in between initial startup high idle and when it is up to full operating temp.

I checked all the vacuum lines and there correct and have done a sea foam treatment to see if that help but it didnt. Any ideas?
Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

what does the car idle at when warm and how long do you give it before it you kick it down to the low idle?
Davesub

Post by Davesub »

It idles about 1400 on high idle. If I let it run 10 minutes or so then hit the gas it unlocks and the idle will drop to about 890-910. If I take off and drive the idle will die until the engine is really warmed up then it will idle again 890-910. It jumps around a bit.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've had about the same problem...but recently installed a manual choke...so now the problem is gone...I think.

It might have to do with the choke unloader or ???
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

well, a good short term fix would be to go and set the warm idle higher, to say 1100-1200 rpm. This is easily 10 second job with a screwdriver. My car, which idles at 900 when warm and 1500 when cold, will die if i kick down to hot idle too soon (0-15 seconds) There could be some other problems with your vacuum/choke/emissions system thats causing it. Or it could be the fact its an old carb'ed car. Its hard to tell. Try raising the warm idle speed first maybe?