gearbox slack

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jamiec

gearbox slack

Post by jamiec »

Does anyone here have gearbox slack (loosnes
like when accelarate and back off) :( in
there tercels? if so has anyone ever fix
the problem or do you all just accept it?
ive had two tercels that have had the problem.

Thanx for any info.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

My first Terc had a really loose gearbox and it was really easy to select the wrong gear although it was super light and never grinded. This newer one has a really tight gearbox that has a hard time getting into first unless I go through second first.. I really want to get this fixed as my girlfriend has a hard time with it (and so do I.. but I love this car too much!).
Neither of them ever jumped out of gear or probs when backing off or on the power though, I think they all wear in different ways

perhaps you need to check your engine and gearbox mounts? does the engine move much when you have the hood (d'oh.... bonnet) open and you just use the carb to rev the car?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Only in fifth gear right? I had that problem until fifth just broke free, then it was a 4 speed. Fifth gear is an external gear located in the housing with the differential. I got the transmission repaired, then a couple of years (and 100k miles) later, it just locked up. Now I have a JDM trannie in it.
jamiec

Post by jamiec »

Maybe i should say it has driveline snatch?
like there is play in the drive line between power
on and power off.