Engine is "hunting"

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JIMCAT

Engine is "hunting"

Post by JIMCAT »

I have two 86 Tercel SR5 Wagons. The engine on one has just begun seeking or hunting. Surges between 800 and 1200 rpm at idle. Cant find any obvious vacuum leaks. Clogged ERG? Thanks
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Start with the O2 sensor. There is a covered plug under the hood, green, two pins, doesn't go to anything. Put a volt meter between the contacts and if it sweeps, the O2 sensor is good, if not, get a new one.
JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

Will check it out. Thank you for the tip.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Put a volt meter between the contacts and if it sweeps, the O2 sensor is good, if not, get a new one
Sweeps?
JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

I followed the instructions in my Chilton's Manual and got no voltage, so I replaced the O2 sensor. No help. The engine is still hunting (seeking). Any suggestions? Thanks
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You could try pulling the vac line off of the EGR and plugging it? Might be the vac modulator leaking vac? Check all vac hoses?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

Will do. No obvious vac leaks but this began right after a valve job, so I am suspecting a leak. Thank you for the advice. jc