Rear Window Wiper and De-Frogger Questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Rear Window Wiper and De-Frogger Questions

Post by coltarms »

My rear wiper doesn't like to keep very good tension against the glass, and therefor it doesn't do a very good job wiping. Anyone ever replace the spring of figure out a way to fix this? It also doesn't come away from the glass (when I pull it out to clean the window or change the blade) more than an inch or two. Is this normal?

There are a couple of breaks in the lines for the rear window de-frogger. The FSM states to use DuPont Paste #4817 as a repair agent. Anyone ever use this stuff?
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Spray some WD40 on the spring and vicinity at the base of the wiper arm. It should loosen up and work right. There are a number of repair products for the defogger, I've never used any of them yet.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I have the same situation vis-a-vis the rear defogger wires. A friend had good results with the Permatex Kit #09117, so I purchased one at Autozone and will hopefully get to it this weekend. I'll report back at that time.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I haven't found an aftermarket arm for the back window...have the same poor wiping action. Pivot rusts all the time...I put oil on it now and then.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Funny, the 84 has the same issue. 86 and 87, with the upright arms, have always worked very well. Just something about those horizontal arms I guess.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew