83 wagon Vacuum diagram/vacuum advance

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Jts
Advanced Member

83 wagon Vacuum diagram/vacuum advance

Post by Jts »

Hi guys. As some of you know, I just got an 83 wagon sr5. I lucked out and got a fully functioning vacuum advance at the jy yesterday. I put it in and it still wouldn't work (but the original was definetly broken). Turns out i had a vacuum leak in my Choke breaker (CB in the manual). I bypassed the CB and now my vac advance works. However, theres this part called a gas filter that is screwed into the intake manifold. In the 85 FSM, this gas filter (which supplies vacuum to the vac advance) has 2 lines to it. Mine only has one. Can someone with an 83 manual tell me if thats the way its supposed to be? Or is it some random part installed by the PO. A scan of the 3-AC vac diagram for 1983 would help me immensely

Also, does anyone know if the system will function alright with the CB bypassed. THe manual states that it opens the choke to prevent a rich mixture. It would seem that the choke opens itself without the need of this. Can anyone tell me if this would cause problems?

Btw, with my vacuum advance working, my stumble/hestitation from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle is almost completely gone. If anyone has a known bad vacuum advance and is experiencing the engine cutting out at mid throttle positions, it seems that a broken vacuum advance can be completely responsible for it.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

I have a question along this same line...

There are three nipples on the vac advance (if I'm right) one is for advance, one to bring back to nuetral, and what is the third nipple for? There is one high on the canister one in the middle and one on the bottom which is which? as far as which does what?

=====Jusdtin=====
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

I'm not sure, but i've read on the forum it could be for high altitude compensator.