What I Saw Today...

Post here about...well...anything!
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

Back in 1986, I was living in Austin, TX, and had a buddy whose stepfather had a series one E-Type roadster. He'd bought it from an enthusiast who was going through a divorce several years earlier. He was afraid to drive the car, so he'd start it a few times a year and warm it up just to make sure it ran. The car was black, with a show quality lacquer job on it. It still had the original (worn) red leather interior in it, but had a complete new interior still in the boxes. It also had a factory hardtop. I inherited about $20k that summer, and heard the roadster was about to be for sale. I went and looked it over, and talked to the stepfather in depth about it. The body was absolutely perfect, and needed nothing but a good cleaning. Knowing a little about old Jags, I knew all the seals in the engine and transmission would need replacing, and the brakes would also need an overhaul. The asking price on the car was $9k, but he was willing to negotiate since I was a friend of the stepson...

Of course, I didn't buy it. Within 6 months, my inheritance was gone, and I had almost nothing to show for it. I also didn't have $3500 in February of 1987 to buy a Plymouth Superbird I'd been lusting after for a few years. It was rough overall, but a one-owner 4 speed car with an Autobahn history. Deals like that just don't pop up like they did back then.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Talking about missed opportunities....
Right before I turned 16, back in 1956, a friend's uncle let us guys know he was selling his Ford Coupe for $25, which he had put up on blocks in a dry and secure garage when he went off to the War in 1942 - and there it still was.
We checked it out.
It turned out to be a '38 2-window Coupe with - get this - a rumble seat! It had a huge factory radio mounted above the rear-view mirror - one of the first installed in cars. The body was perfect, the wirewheels were not rusty, and no animals had made their homes in the interior. New tires were do-able, at only about $60 for 4....
However - the V8 (the 85, not the 60) had seized from sitting for 14 or so years. A rebuilt would have been a hundred or so ('member, this was 1956), and Dad said "No!".
I later found out the axles were taken off to mount under trailers (this happened a lot with the pre-'49 Fords), and the car was then scrapped.
This would have been worth a lot nowadays (and even as early as the later '60s).
So I bought my '46 Ford V8 Convertible dog and the adventures began....
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I have a buddy with a 2-door Ford V-8 FlatHead coupe. No rumble unfortunatly. At least I hope he still has it.... I think it was a 42? I'll have to ask him... Jet black, all original, still runs.... Heh.

My dad really wants an "A" Convertible with rumble seat. And a Split-Window Stingray. Both georgeous...
Me? Lamborghini Countach LP5000 Quattrovalvole 25th aniversary edition in either stainless steel grey (Silver?) or DAAAAARK blue. Man....

I still haven't been able to get that 89 MR2... He still has it for sale. Heh... I can't believe his wife won't drop the price at all. $2k stands if I remember right..... Wonder if this will be one of my "Wish I had"s...?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

So I bought my '46 Ford V8 Convertible dog and the adventures began....
Cool! My very first (on-the-road) vehicle was a '47 Ford coupe with the old flathead V8. I had so much fun with that car, and learned a lot about mechanical stuff - most of it the hard way.

First time I had the engine apart (was only 16 at the time) I didn't know you had to put the pistons and rods all back exactly where they came from - no Internet or library anywhere close back then, and not too much common sense on my part either. When I went to start the engine, it wouldn't turn over. Got my dad to pull me down the road ( with his '55 Monarch 4-door V8 ) and let out the (new) clutch to try and start it. Burnt out a brand new clutch. Was pretty stupid back then - adventurous, but no knowledge or experience. Ended up paying the mechanic at the garage next door to tear it down and put it back together the right way.

I was more than a little crazy driving the coupe, and really abused it - maybe that's why I treat my vehicles so good these days, or, maybe just older and wiser, with a bit of old fogey thrown in.

I became quite expert (and very fast) at changing rear axles and the trans, as I busted up way too many with my abusive driving. But boy, was it fun!