coolant bypass tube washer/o-ring

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ogedei
Advanced Member

coolant bypass tube washer/o-ring

Post by Ogedei »

Having problem getting my coolant bypass tube to seat and not leak.

I am using an O-ring i found at pepboys and some liquid gasket but that is a get it on the road fix and not a preferred permanent fix.

Where can I get the washers for the tube? does anyone know what size it is?

thanks
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

See page CO-9 of the FSM - the seals for the bypass tube are o-rings. When I did my water pump a while back, I was surprised at how much clearance there is between the o.d. of the tube and the i.d. of the two 'bores' the tube fits into. Definitely requires good o-rings the right size to make a leak free seal.

I bet they are metric o-rings, and I didn't have access to any, so I used sae o-rings a little on the big size rather than too small. Sorry, but I don't remember what size I used.

One thing I did was spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the tube at the ends, and the two 'bores' to be as clean and roughness free as possible. Then I used a bit of oil to lube everything before installing. That was quite a few months back, and so far so good, no leakage yet.

If your 'bores' or tube are too badly pitted from previous leakage to clean up good enough, there is a danger that the o-ring(s) will be abraded just enough on assembly that you may not be able to get a really good seal.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

You can get the o-rings at any AutoZone. You have to ask, they are kept in boxes behind the counter. They have all sizes both SAE and Metric. I used a little RTV around mine instead of oil or grease.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You definitely need the right size...both diameter and thickness...and gasket goop for insurance. Plus clean up all the corrosion espec on the alum parts....clean up...don't remove any alum though. Mine has held for 40K miles so far.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

I just did my bypass tube today. I used Metric o rings, size 9. I got them from Baxters Auto Parts. They just gave em to me when i asked how much. They keep them in a box behind the counter. There are a size 9 and a 10, but size 9 fit tight and so far hasnt shown any leaks. I didnt have to use any goop. Just cleaned up the tube and seats with scotchbrite. Turned out alot better than the 2 dollars each o-rings toyota wants, plus 4 for the gasket. I made mine from generic gasket paper.