Distributor and fuel pump

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Distributor and fuel pump

Post by keith »

There is a rebuilt 4A-C listed on ebay, it doesn't have the valve cover or pan or flywheel, which I wouldn't need anyway. but it also looks like it might not have the fuel pump or distributor either. Will the ones off the 3A-C fit on the 4A-C? Also how about the timing belt covers?
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

It will all fit Dist., Alt., Covers, ALL
Only thing is the oil pan....you need the pan from the 4WD to clear the front cross member. Valve cover may or may not fit depending on what head you have (straight or wavy) My 4A is a wavy head so I just hopped to the Pull-It yard and snatched one off a '87 Nova (same as a '87 Corrola)

thats it

=====Justin=====
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

intake manifold makes the carb sit higher on the 4A-C than the 3A-C
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

It doesn't have manifolds either. I have the original engine from the car still, the engine thats in it is a salvage yard engine and it just blew today 11k miles since I put it in. This is why I'm considering a rebuild vs another salvage. Right now the engine isn't listed, it didn't sell so I'm guessing he will list it again. He's listed it at least once before. Alternative is to rebuild original engine myself.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

Well remember my suggestions are just that-Suggestions.....butttttt

If you have the 4a, it already belongs to you, why not rebuild it yourself. You have an overhead cam motor which is easy to rebuild for anyone who can read the FSM. The manual has a complete teardown and rebuild of the motor and most everything else on it. Everything is on the very top or the very bottom. When I was in high school and right outta school I hung out at a local one man import shop helping out as much as I knew. Thomas the owner of the shop rebuilt Toyota motors without even taking the motor out of the car because all is up or down. Its not a V-8.

Anddd (I'm guessing here) lets say you gave $500 for the motor you have or the one youll get next. You can rebuild the one you have for roughly the same amount and then you wont have one that lasts you 11K because YOU built it.

Now this all hinges on the fact you have a few minutes for a few weekends to put into it. Now my new motor (which is an OEM from the GMC warehouse) was installed by a mechanic because of the lack of time. On the other hand in the last 2 months I have had a little time so I have striped all the emissions crap, installed a Weber carb after matching and polishing the mani, and did a complete head gasket redo. Im no genius I just have opposing thumbs and I can read so aint too many things on this car I cant do (except lift it, which I'm working on now)

Sooo just jump in there and "Git 'er Done"

=====Justin=====
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I have two 3A engines, the original and the salvage yard engine that is in it now. I want to buy a 4A. A used engine and this rebuild cost about the same. The used comes with everything, the rebuild is just a longblock. I could rebuild the original 3A, but I'd like a little more power, torque anyway.

BTW, I have a log home too, so I have all the "get 'er done" I need.