Resetting Idle Mixture

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marklar

Resetting Idle Mixture

Post by marklar »

I assume the idle mixture and speed need to be correct in order for the engine to crank. (Please confirm)

How would i set my idle speed mixture if my car isnt starting and I belive this to be the reason? (I was thinking screw the mixture screw in then slowly adjust it out until there is any sign of life) but when i checked the manual it only says how to adjust on a running engine ... and also mentions adjusting idle speed. Any ideas on how to set these from scratch.
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

The idle mixture is determined by your float level. The only idle screw on the carb is idle speed. And if you're starting a cold car, it won't be resting on that screw anyways as the choke will be holding the throttle to about the 3,000RPM point (when warm).
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

incorrect, you do have an idle mixture screw but it is probably covered by a metal plug. This was done due to emissions requirements the keep the average joe from screwing with it...

the idle mixture will not make the engine so that it does not fire. either you dont have a good spark, your timing is off or you are not getting fuel to the cylinders.
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Link to AZ info.

Post by ARCHINSTL »

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... 1b7548.jsp

This link takes one to Autozone's Tune-Up Procedures section, which explains the idle mixture screw drill-out procedure. This is distinct from the very long and informative section on the carburetor in the Fuel System section.
XLNT info - many times the site has better copy and pix than the FSM.

My rebuilt carb from National came with the plug already drilled out, so I had to use this procedure to tune the thing.
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
marklar

Post by marklar »

Im pretty sure my idle mixture scre is easily accesible I dont know why just is gold colored screw any I have followed the procedure listed at autozone. Stil no luck though.

How do I know if fuel is making it into the cylinders? Should i see vapor if I remove spark plugs?
'84 Toyota Carib 6 Spd Manual FWD/4WD
'96 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 5 Spd Manual 4WD
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I just attempted to "tune" my Holley Carb. I am a little foggy on the part of the Idle Mixture adjustment where it says to keep adjusting the idle mixture screw and the idle speed screw till it won't idle any higher. What I did was turn the mixture screw, then use the speed screw to put it back to 700rpm (as per FSM.) I kept repeating this sequence until the mixture screw no longer raised the idle higher than 700rpm. Then I used the mixture screw to reduce the idle to 650rpm. Was this correct?

Another problem is that the FSM didn't specify to unplug the EGR hose (at least I didn't see where it said to) and I neglected to put on the air cleaner assy. Guess I'll be doing it again tonight. I also cheat and adjust the idle speed a little higher after I'm all done all the adjustments. I turn on ALL my accessories and set the idle speed to 650-700 rpm. I do a lot of driving at night in the rain with the stereo and defroggers on.......
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Just FYI to anyone, HUGE difference with the air cleaner on. Probably 1&1/2 to 2 full turns on the mixture screw. Also, disconnecting the TVSV port 2 is the same as disconnecting the top EGR hose.