Will this tranny work....

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Will this tranny work....

Post by T-Bone »

I was wondering if I could bolt the tranny off of the 4AC? The tranny from the AE85. I would like to make my tercel RWD with the 4AC in it.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Its more complicated than just a bolt-in.... The front hub setup relies on the CV shaft. You'll need a way to supplement or replace that. I dunno if it'll bolt in. I'd like very very much to know though.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

i was thinking about the front hubs too. i wonder if I can use the front hubs from the AE85. will the bell housing from the 4AC tranny bolt up to the 3AC?
Daily Driver:
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I'd just try to take the front axles apart to get the short axle stubs that are needed to hold the bearings together.

I think the biggest issue will be the engine height. I think the engine in the Tercel sits way too high to work with a conventional transmission. You might have to make a new subframe to mount the engine on. Or adapt the Corolla subframe to fit. And probably relocate the steering rack either way. Yes, I've thought about it too. :)

BTW, a 4AGE would a better engine for this idea. :idea:
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

If you are looking at such an intense overhaul for this, it may be a good idea to just look at the 4AGE as an option.

I've never seen a AE85/86 tranny on the ground, so I dunno what the angles are, but yes, the assembly on the AL25 does go down pretty sharp.

The disadvantage to making a way to get the line more straight is a loss in engine-ground clearance. A nice thing about the way we are set up is that there is a lot of stuff to run into BEFORE the oilpan or engine gets hit. Its very well sheilded, considering. If you convert to a different x-member to mount the engine to, or figure a way to just lower the engine itself, you'd be bringing the oilpan and crank closer to the pave. If you want to offroad, this isn't the best idea if you are maintaining stock ride height. However, onroad it shouldn't be an issue... Unless you go curb-hopping.

If you go through with this, I am VERY interested to see how you approach it.

I should be yanking a tranny soon, I'll document what I can.... A Terc tranny, not a Corolla.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

I tried to find the dimensions of both trannys to see how well the AE85 tranny would fit. If I did a RWD swap I would not be off roading it. Even if it is really fun in that car :D . I wuld like to stick with the 3/4AC. I want to keep it with its good old carb setup.
Daily Driver:
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

AE86 Drivetrain:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2mhsxo3.jpg

It's edited down from a Road & Track pic from 9/84. The 4/83 issue might have the same thing for the 4WD Tercel. I haven't seen it, but they did test the Tercel in that issue. Anybody have it?

The cheapest of a bunch on eBay right now:
Last edited by Gasoline Fumes on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

And the Tercel:
Not a great tranny pic, but you can sorta see how the bellhousing is basically on a whole nother level above the rest of the transmission. On the AE86, the driveshaft is inline with the crankshaft.

I forget who's pic this is, but another view of the Tercel box with its high input shaft:
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

One more:
I hope Soutthpaw doesn't mind. :)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Off The Subject A Bit, But ....

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Gasoline Fumes wrote:AE86 Drivetrain:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2mhsxo3.jpg
It's edited down from a Road & Track pic from 9/84. The 4/83 issue might have the same thing for the 4WD Tercel. I haven't seen it, but they did test the Tercel in that issue. Anybody have it?
I actually have the R&T and CandD tests of the Tercel from 1983, as well as the CandD Comparo Test of 1985.
In fact, I have virtually every actual copy of those mags (and CandD's predecessor) from 1953 until 2005 -
I started my subscriptions when in 8th grade...
The tests' pages are in my 'puter as .jpg thingies (13 scans), so could send them/load into the site.
Excuse my computer ignorance, but short of using photobucket, which I don't want to do, I am clueless
as to how these pix can be a part of our Forum.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

You can e-mail them to me and I can host them on my boomspeed account if you like. darrin(dot)moore(at)gmail(dot)com
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Will do on Thursday or Friday!
Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

the tercels engine sits higher than in the AE-86 in order to clear the front differential.

I don't know if it would, but i wouldn't be supprised if a AE86 front sub frame bolted right into a tercel.