question about cat....

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

question about cat....

Post by T-Bone »

If I remove my cat I was wondering if it would effect the way my tercel would run at all? I know it has that weird breather tube with the reed valve in it (what does that thing do anyway?). I dont think it would cause any problems. Also would it make my tercel loud at all. Its not that loud right now the only problem is that the exhaust has fallen appart infront of the cat so I just wanted to remove it and put a pipe in its place.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

It won't have any affect on how your car runs, positive or negative. It will increase your emissions. If your exhaust is falling apart in front of the cat, then you will need to replace the head pipe. If the cat itself is not rusting out, you can put it back on and save the cost of another pipe.

Before you make a final decision, price a new pipe and cat. It may not cost as much as you think, and a replacement pipe may cost more than you'd expect.

If the outside of the cat is good but the inside is clogged up, you can scrape the front of the honeycomb to knock off the melted portion, the cat will still work. If you don't care about emissions and it's still clogged, you can hollow it out with a large screwdriver or crowbar.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Mine has fallen apart from the inside... There is a nice 2 inch hole through the middle of the media... It smells terrible....
As long as the rest of the exhaust stays in tact, it shouldn't matter a massive amount.... However my engine loves to eat oil when I remove backpressure from the cat back.

I'd say have a custom pipe bent at a reputable local muffler shop. They can bump the diameter up a little bit for you. Stock is something like 1 5/8 inches. I plan to do 2 inch, but that might be excessive for a stock engine. You might ask if they could do 1 3/4 inch (1 6/8.. a hair bigger, but it'll help a bit).

If you really wanted to make it happy, you could have them put a flex-pipe section in front of the cat. Maybe 4 inches long if they could make it fit. Would help prevent cracking in the down-tube.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Mine has a 2" hole through the center too, courtesy of a big screwdriver. I live in a non smog area and the rest of the engine runs good.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...