automatic choke question...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
joes mama

automatic choke question...

Post by joes mama »

well, after driving you guys crazy with questions for a week, i think i finally know my problem...

background: 1988 tercel, the timing is perfect, the gas is fine, the spark is good. compression leaves something to be desired, but it is also okay.

i noticed that i can start the car, but i cannot get it to idle down, even after removing the hoses from the vacuum advance. once i turn off the engine, it refuses to start again.

when i look down the mouth of the carb., all i see is a cylindrical plate blocking the opening.

i was told this is the automatic choke, and that it would retract after the car warms up. it does not do so.

my haynes manual says that in order to test the automatic choke you should take it to a repair center (some manual)...

does anybody know how i can test it for sure?

thanks!

casey
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

You should start by downloading the proper Toyota repair manual from the main website page (http://www.tercel4wd.com) It'll have better choke testing procedures.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

When the car is warmed up...the choke plate should be open...if it isn't...I think you have to buy a new one.

Might try hitting the shafts with penetrant or carb cleaner.

You can probably wire it open on the outide of the carb to see if that solves the problems.

JCWhitney sells an inexpensive manual choke kit...I have one, but haven't installed it.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...