Split BUS

Post here about...well...anything!
kingtercel

Split BUS

Post by kingtercel »

Gday ive been fiddling with trivial 87 tercel matters for too long & putting off the 66 VW bus in my shed which is at its lowest point in terms of resto.

The bus has been sitting there since feburary not doin much, the engines been rebuilt and brakes have been attended to, i intend to strip her back to bare essentials for a complete restoration;

But i dont know where to start - i need a kik start and a structured idea of what to start on cos theres so much requiring attention.

The rust isnt too bad; the roof has none and has been treated/resprayed, the cargo floor, rockers? , and basically whole outer/ inner bottom rim is partially rusted, the panels are fairing well with opnly trivial dings,
the jacking points (ribs for the cargo floor) are rusted out but all other ribs seem fine (omn partial inspection)
Ive got spare barn doors and front doors and the front interior is good with all the parts present ( working is another mater)

I plan to replace the cargo floor, install a type 3 gearbox (with independant rear suspension- as cheaply as possible)
POR 15 the whole underside and rewire the whole bus. I also need to patch up panels and build/weld in new jacking points; some of the panels i have waiting to be fitted.
The whole bus needs sandlbasting and priming along with painting much later.
I rebuilt a 1500 engine that runs fine and have got a whole brake line set new for replacement

Basically i am trying to figure out how i should div into this huge job, where to start & basically at minimum of cost with out stupid mistakes like having to sandblast twice or sumthing similar

If anyone could give me advice on a sort of game plan - would be much appreciated!
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Well priorities depend on necessesity. Is it going to be a showroom classic or a daily driver? I've been restoring my daily driver VW bus for a few years now. Because it was a daily driver I did all the mechanical stuff(brakes, CV joints etc.) first so I could actually drive it and be safe. I then went on a 6 month trip with it to Mexico and when I got back we rebuilt the engine. I've done some interior and electrical as I go and I will do the body/paint when the funds provide.
If it's a classical resto I would take care of all the rust/body issues first, even if it takes 2 years. You'll be happier for it. Second, electrical. Third Mechanical, Fourth, Interior. That should keep ya busy!
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4