b0rken frame

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

b0rken frame

Post by Rasmus »

I hit a curb, and my tierod was stronger than my rusted ass frame. I bent the frame back out and the car now does NOT have 20 degrees of toe out. in fact, we got it surprisingly dead on, seeing as we used a prybar and a warn-winch :) lol

all the way to 100 mph and not a shake in the wheel, man, I rule.

- Rasmus
I love my tercel :)
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Nice going Rasmus!

When I destroyed the side of a Saturn with my car a couple years ago the frame was bent on it too. I was turning right out of a parking lot and couldn't see over a snow bank. I eased ahead to pull out and his side kinda glanced off my drivers front corner.
I was driving home and the wheel was turned nearly a half turn to the left to go straight. The front bumper was bent out 90* at the driver's side attachment point, it would have looked like a staircase from the top. The passengers fender was pushed back over the passengers door about an inch. Very saaad.

Anyhow, we took it to my uncles place, dug a hole in the ice to hold the front end from being moved side to side, attached a chain between the bumper attachment point on the front and a tree. Then my Dad took a like 8 foot long pry bar and started whacking the chain after the slack had been taken out. The front end was pulled back past being in line, and we kept tension on the chain for about an hour or so.

Took tension off the chain and the front end slowly eased back into position. Didn't even have to get the car lined-up. Put a new front bumper on and it was good as new other than where the paint chipped on the fenders.

WE are also the man(men?).

PS: plastic-sided Saturns blow up real good in -20C temps. Toyotas are tougher.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Amen to the exploding plastic. During our cold spell a whole bunch of Saturns with holes in their bumpers and fenders appeared.

I hate you both. You heard me. Damn you both... Lol. j/k
I hit a mountain going sideways at high speed.
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... 14&start=0
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew