Brake pads

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ah106
My tercel:: 85 Hatchback, 2wd

Brake pads

Post by ah106 »

Just replaced the pads on my '85 with ceramic pads. The rotors are in excellent condition. Now it takes a lot more pedal pressure to stop in the same distance prior to the new pads. Anyone else experience this? Should I be using organic pads?

thanks,
Randy
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Brake pads

Post by dlb »

I've always replaced the pads and rotors at the same time. Even if the rotors are in excellent shape, unless they are machined flat again they are not going to mate perfectly with the new pads. Less contact means less braking power of course so that's my guess.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

dlb has a point, BUT the service life on rotors is much longer than on pads. If the rotors aren’t grooved/worn, they’re likely fine. Possibly need bled?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ah106
My tercel:: 85 Hatchback, 2wd

Post by ah106 »

I suspected dlb was right, but didn't want to believe it. Decided to pull it apart and see what's what. Turns out there is about an 1/8in of surface on the inner diameter of the rotor where the old pads didn't contact the rotor leaving a buildup of rust. The new pads are shaped a little different so they were riding on the rust and not laying flat on the rotor. A got a new set of pads that are cut properly and Wahla! So new rotors would have also solved the problem.

Thanks guys.
Randy
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Nice, glad to hear you got it sorted out Randy.