1987 Tercel 4wd project

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1987 Tercel 4wd project

Post by Mattel »

UJujWtZlQQe+gjAcvERsRw_thumb_1862.jpg
LeT73JVfQXSxCtGafWNd0g_thumb_1860.jpg
Here is a Tercel I photographed in Stockholm about 15 years ago. Not a lot left of it but I do love the front bumper overrider!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Mattel wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:08 am Great work. Did you need the sticker for the rear hatch that says Toyota? I made an illustrator file that you could take to a signwriter to print. its on here somewhere.
Thank you very much Mattel! Thank you for the offer for the sticker. I may need that actually so I need to look for that. A sticker shop has promised to make me one but it would be safer to print knowing that I have already functional illustrator file.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Mattel wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:10 am UJujWtZlQQe+gjAcvERsRw_thumb_1862.jpgLeT73JVfQXSxCtGafWNd0g_thumb_1860.jpg

Here is a Tercel I photographed in Stockholm about 15 years ago. Not a lot left of it but I do love the front bumper overrider!
Thank you also for sharing this memory from Stockholm. It is a nice one. That Tercel is basically identical with mine excluding sunroof. It has the latest 1986-1988 facelift and 3E6 color for sure. There are not many similar Tercel 4wds left in Stockholm right now.

The bumper overrider looks like a pontoon to me. They have lots of water and boats around Stockholm so even a Stockholm Tercel 4wd has received some boat equipment needed in the Stockholm archipelago.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Nordical25 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm
Mattel wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:08 am Great work. Did you need the sticker for the rear hatch that says Toyota? I made an illustrator file that you could take to a signwriter to print. its on here somewhere.
Thank you very much Mattel! Thank you for the offer for the sticker. I may need that actually so I need to look for that. A sticker shop has promised to make me one but it would be safer to print knowing that I have already functional illustrator file.
Hi Nordical!
Here is the file
download/file.php?id=10868
Hope it works for you. I think this is cheaper than the guy in Facebook who has printed them in the USA and selling them and posting them out
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Thank you very much Mattel for looking the file. I can let you know how it works for me. I will print this sticker in the end of summer.
Mattel wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:53 pm
Nordical25 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm
Hi Nordical!
Here is the file
download/file.php?id=10868
Hope it works for you. I think this is cheaper than the guy in Facebook who has printed them in the USA and selling them and posting them out
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

It it time for August update. I had my vacation to fix my original project further. From now on I will refer my original project car as BHP, because of its registration plate.

The BHP received missing decals and moldings after printing the stickers in a sticker shop. I did found an original measures for 1985-1988 Toyota decal so I reproduced decals based on them. I did measure also black stripes before repainting my car. Measuring original decals is an important procedure if you want to reproduce exactly similar decals after a repaint.

I have understood that Toyota logo is different between 1982-1984 & 1985-1988 models. Which one is the file on this forum?

I did use also Biltema trim tape and Sikaflex 221 to reattach my 1987 side moldings. I noticed that they are pretty stiff around 10 degrees/50 Fahrenheit and much fore flexible in 25 degrees/77 Fahrenheit. The material of 1987-1988 moldings is PVC meanwhile 1982-1986 moldings are made from PP. It means that you want to check your plastic glue based on trim manufacturing year.

The update went well and the outside of the car is now complete apart from wiper arm repaint and from non functioning rear wiper.

My Tercel did also give a helping hand for a lawn mover. Some safety switches had failed and it had no battery so my Tercel needed to give a helping hand if you check one of attached pictures.

Next year this Tercel will receive some original stickers under the hood, interior & motor bay cleaning and original white alloys. I discovered also that this very exact Tercel 4wd had a minor role in the movie: https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_824165-To ... -1985.html. However, it is not a 1985 but a 1987 model. Side moldings and interior parts show the difference between a 1987 & 1985 one.

I will make another update of my current summer cruising Tercel BEA a bit later. I will also reveal next year update plans. Season 2023 is soon over and it will be time for small repairs and updates soon for the BEA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Nice looking car, keep up the good work.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Thats so cool about the movie! Looks like it used to have the white steel wheels!

I'm not actually sure about the sticker template. its been so long and I don't have access to illustrator to check right now. sorry
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Thank you NWMO.

Thank you Mattel. You are absolutely correct about white steelies.My another one Bea should receive grey alloys next spring meanwhile Bhp will receive white steelies. Here are some additional screenshots from the scene, which lasts about 1,5min.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

And no worries about the illustrator. I don't have it myself neither so that is why I decided to print these decals based on measured dimensions.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Ok, it is time for the Autumn update of BEA.

Driving BEA was a lot of fun and I managed to drive a couple of thousand kilometers with it during summer. It did not need a lot of attention, but again something minor was fixed, like a minor oil leak and a broken distributor caused by a failed distributor bearing. Welding shop took care of its rust. I managed to find small spot needing rust repairs also for next summer inspection but the car itself worked fine 99% of time. The idle has a bit high emissions but I managed to get it through the tester. I attended also some classic car events and they were a lot of fun.

I also received an US radio bezel via part swap and that was a great update compared to original European radio bezel. Now I could install an 2-din radio with Apple car play. It means that you can have Siri based navigation, Spotify, car telephone etc. I highly recommend this update for all wanting a bit more modern car audio, telephone & navigation interface. At least Sony 2din-radio was a bolt-on update.

I ended my driving season by test driving my Tercel 2 hours including some minor offroading in a beach. The car worked like charm and now it will be prepared for next season. I did prematurely swap German brochure 14 inch alloys for this car already now. The tire shop noticed that these rims were actually restored instead of unused. But the condition of them was still excellent and they balanced well. Now I will start plastic part detailing for incoming antique car inspection. My aim is to get that done before next inspection on July. Let's see how that will go. I did attach some summer season photos of driving BEA in meetings etc. Hopefully you like them.

And for the next summer I want to attach also side decals. I also need to decide before antique car inspection if I want to install additional high-beams into this car. We will see. And then I need to decide final look of this car. I did receive positive feedback of my new US 1987 grill. So I need to decide if I want to keep remaining part of my car in European look or if I want to swap SR5 trim to hatch and into rear door moldings. So I have still some decissions to make. But final shape of this car is getting more and more complete.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I like the R10 in pics 2&3- I had one decades ago (and also a Caravelle, R12 wagon, and R8.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Fantastic. I bet you get a lot of comments from other drivers!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Looking at your previous post where you show it in a film. Have you thought about registering your car with a movie car wrangler? I have done this with my 1988 Corolla AWD and get paid $1,000 a day to use my car in a film or advert. Its good money. It made it onto the most recent Toyota Corolla Advert in Australia!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good for you Mattel, beautiful car!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain