Bucking / Bogging / Stuttering at speed

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SoCal
My tercel:: 1985 4WD

Re: Bucking / Bogging / Stuttering at speed

Post by SoCal »

Yes my 4x4 was missing and cutting out at speed. I finally found the problem after 4 months. It was the goddammed alternator!! I took the carb apart and reset the float, new plugs and wires, switched out the distributor, put new gas lines etc.still missed at speed. It was the alternator all along, it was cutting out power and shutting of the electrics in the carb and making it miss momentarilly! I put a new alternator in and bingo! Gone!! Runs like a little purring kitten now, gosh I love this car :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great to hear, thanks for letting us know.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

SoCal wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:54 am Yes my 4x4 was missing and cutting out at speed. I finally found the problem after 4 months. It was the goddammed alternator!! I took the carb apart and reset the float, new plugs and wires, switched out the distributor, put new gas lines etc.still missed at speed. It was the alternator all along, it was cutting out power and shutting of the electrics in the carb and making it miss momentarilly! I put a new alternator in and bingo! Gone!! Runs like a little purring kitten now, gosh I love this car :)
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed. How did you figure that out?
SoCal
My tercel:: 1985 4WD

Post by SoCal »

The alternator finally gave way and the bucking stopped. The battery dash light AND the brake dash light both illuminated, it wasn't charging at all. No electricity to the carb and the bucking was gone. Hell it ran great! Put a new alt in, runs like new. Its dialed now, especially with that Yoshimura motorcycle muffler I welded on. It sets off car alarms now, it has this deep throaty growl and revs to the moon 👊🏻👊🏻
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

The similar happened to me once when I jump started my dead battery Tercel with another vehicle. It was a really bumpy ride.

Then I threw another battery and the Tercel ran like champ. Funny how little things can make such a difference.