different sizes of alternator pulley shaft

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

different sizes of alternator pulley shaft

Post by dlb »

Quick story. My last tercel needed an alternator so I bought one. That tercel had a v-belt and the new alt came with a pulley for a ribbed belt so I swapped the pulleys, returned the ribbed pulley with the old alt for the core refund, and all was well until the car became too much of a liability and became my parts car.

Fast forward to my current Tercel, which also needed an alternator. I thought I would just pull the alt off the parts car and swap the ribbed pulley from the current Tercel's alt onto it, but this time the pulleys didn't swap. The shaft that the pulley sits on was too wide. I thought about drilling or grinding the hole in the pulley to make it fit but I don't have any tools precise enough to do that, so I ended up buying another alternator, and that was that.

I had never run into this before so I looked it up on the forum here and couldn't find any posts about it. I also looked it up on the fb group and found one guy ran into the same problem. No specs on which alternators have what size of shaft though. If I have to pull mine apart sometime I'll try to remember to come back here and update this thread with that info. It was pretty annoying so I'd like to save others that same headache if possible.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: different sizes of alternator pulley shaft

Post by Nordical25 »

That is interesting info. Are both ones Toyota OEM alternators?