New mpg mod....the ozonator....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

New mpg mod....the ozonator....

Post by takza »

http://fueleconomytips.com/content/view/59/30/

Have set this up on my V6...and have seen the best mpg yet.

Simple, inexpensive, and it works.

Need to be careful as to how it's done to avoid problems.

Dist caps are different on various engines...need a vent for an intake and this intake should draw air from a warm dry place under the hood to reduce humidity on a rainy day.

The intake (vent) and the hole for the vac line going to the intake should be on opposite sides of the cap...and as far away from the contact points in the cap as possible.

If there is no vent...you need to make one.

Good idea to include a one-way valve in the vac tube going to the intake also...to avoid any possibility of gas vapor getting into the dist.

Not sure how this mod will affect the 3AC engines idle...might want to T the vac line into the port going into the carb that opens AFTER the throttle plate comes off idle...this way the extra "air" won't affect the idle.
Last edited by takza on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

You are not authorized to view this resource.
You need to login.
I'm too lazy to make an account. :P
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

An account wasn't required a few days ago. I think it's worth the trouble though. 8)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

OK, I made myself an account and saw the article. I might have to try that. :D
Dryfry

Post by Dryfry »

I like the bit called "Spark plug magic" .
And I didn't need an account to read the article.
What I've got 1986 Tercel 4wd wagon....Paint code 4G8 with brown interior.
Fitted with the Big Block 4A
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm not involved in running the site or the registration thing...they want to make people register for the more techncial stuff...so they say.

There are people who seem to have some good info on the mpg subject.

The registration involves a working email address...

I only mention it because it worked for me.....that is the limit of my responsibilty. Register or not...your choice.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

One concern... Ozone is highly reactive. This doesn't only mean it will react with fuel better, but will react with aluminum and iron better as well. Ozone causes rust, among other things. How much of a concern is this in an engine. especially in the manifold/carb/head?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Can't say for sure...though it's not a lot of ozone...it's sort of a modified air bleed.

I'd use the port on the pass side of the OEM carb that opens right above idle with the Tercel...any slight air bleed seems to cause idling problems. I'm using an air bleed now...but no ozone and you can't notice it at idle.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Errrrm... What port? I looked this morning, couldn't find.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Don't have a pic...but there are two vac lines next to one another on the pass side of the carb near the base...think it's the one on the left (to the back)...think it goes to the EGR vac modulator.

At any rate...put a length of vac hose on it and test it for vac...very little at idle..good vac above idle. Need to tee into it.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Bill Kingsbury wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Please send info on how to build an ozone generator.

Buy a mercury vapor light unit from Ace Hardware, Builder's
Square or similar place.... about 20-25 dollars. This includes
the "starter". A 100 watt unit is fine.

Wrap the bulb in a towel. Carefully break the outer bulb.
One blow from a hammer will do it. You will find a small
rectangular bulb inside (about 1 inch long).

Mount the unit in an enclosure with a fan as it gets hot.

You have an ozone generator which is very useful for topical
applications, ozonating water or cleaning air.

If you wish to ozonate water make the exhaust hole small in
the enclosure. Hook up any little hose and run it in a glass
of water for about 5 minutes. Drink immediately as potency
is lost rapidly.

I would appreciate learning of your experience with the device.

Cordially,

Jon Brooks, M.D.
http://cat007.com

Thats some random thing I read about ozone generators. If we could implement that in the intake stream, maybe we'd have an idea? At the same time, they say that the amount of ozone produced is negligible.
I know a powerful electrical arc can produce ozone very effectively. Ever had a large spark come off of your battery or electrical outlet? You know the caustic smell that follows? Ozone.

Based off that, I wonder how much ozone the alternator produces? If its a good amount, we might try to find a way to harvest it?

I'm still worried about oxygenation and other ill effects of the metals, rubbers, and plastics...
Ozone Generator Plans
This is a very simple set up that anyone can put together in five minutes after getting the parts. It works as well as the expensive units costing $600 or more but it costs only about $20 or so. The ones I made cost nothing it just depends on how good you are at scrounging. A good source for the transformer is a shop that repairs or installs neon signs. You can usually pick up a used one for next to zip.

Here are the plans:

First you need a neon sign or similar
transformer at about 6000v. You need a small glass jar and a larger jar that will hold the smaller one. The largerjar can be glass or plastic, I have successfully used a plastic cup for the larger jar but the smaller one should be glass. Lastly you need a small amount of aluminum foil and you may need a few short pieces of wire. The transformer can be as small as 3000v but the more the better up to a point. I use 7000v and that is plenty but you can use up to 15000v.

Put a piece of aluminum foil inside the small jar at the bottom. Cover the outside bottom of the small jar with
foil so that it covers the same area as the foil inside. You can cover the whole inside and outside of the jar, that may work better but just make sure the inner and outer foil layers do not touch or come too close. Put the smaller jar inside the larger one. Connect one high voltage lead to the foil inside and the other to the foil outside.

The larger jar just insulates the whole thing. I would put the whole set up on a piece of wood or other insulator. Try not to cross the wires. The bare part of the wire must touch the foil. If the insulation on the wire makes it difficult or if the wires are too short, you may use some other wire to extend them. Be sure to keep the wires as short as possible you don't want to touch them they will give you a jolt.

Turn it on, you'll hear a crackling noise and if its dark you'll see a blue glow. If deodorizer it also tends to kill mold and bacteria. I try not to breath a lot of it though its not supposed to be dangerous in small amounts. I
Another one

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Back in high school...I managed to get someone to give me one of the big neon sign transformers...this one weighted around 30-40 lbs.

Put a couple of wires on it and messed around zapping things...including myself a few times.

Made a jacobs ladder by taking some soft copper tubing and bringing two runs of it up above the box where they gradually separated....so I had a continually regenerating spark that traveled up between these electrodes.

All I needed was an Igor as an assistant....to have a real lab.

There is an old patent that shows how to use the spark generated by the ignition system to make an ozone generator...essentially what the dist cap thing does.