drove my friends '82 land cruiser (diesel!)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

drove my friends '82 land cruiser (diesel!)

Post by Mac »

it was great! 4wd 4spd, It's great just like the tercel, and its diesel so it was impossible to stall and had all kinds of torque, drove niceley, and despite the strongarm steering and big 225 70 15 michelin LTX's steering was quite managable, solid front and rear axles, so the ride was a little bumpy,
if i was in the market for a used vehichle, i'd get one, fuel milage is also really respectable, 10L per 100km

the only funny thing is the shifter, its 1st gear is in the same spot as the tercel's 3rd gear, the LC's reverse is where the tercels 2nd gear is.

typus, i think this is the Toyota for you!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Haha :D
I am a diesel guy...

The old LC's had 2C diesels if I remember right.... Non-turbo'd so they were torque-y tortuises. You could only go maybe 65-75, but you could climb up a wall if gravity allowed.
My cousin had one. I was too young to truly remember it, but I think I'd've liked it.

You know, I have thought about tracking down a 4wd Truck in diesel form, but I can't get over the charm of my little wagon... Hehe.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I think you would enjoy a LC or a truck just as much as the tercel, they all have that toyota feeling, you know, the feeling that you know is there, but you just can't put your finger on what it is exactly? I find its way more noticable with the old toyotas than the new ones.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh... I sat in a 76 or so Celica GT and I felt like the car was one with a deeper part of me. I would own that car right now if not for it lacking a title.... I actually drove a 04 Corolla and, I still felt very attached to the car, in more than the WHOOSH way, but it just wasn't as deep as my Terc, or that GT.

Come to think of it, I think the salvage yard sold the whole car.. At least I didn't see it last I went.

I may peruse around for a diesel at some point. Who knows, someone might want to get rid of one around here. After all, if the glowplugs fail, most people think the whole engine is screwed.
My biggest scruple with the Toyota diesels is their sluggishness (from what I've seen) they have a lot of torque, but nowhere near enough horsepower to plant that torque quickly. Then again, point me to a NA diesel that has a quickness to move and I'll be amused. Another problem with NA's is their extreme smokeyness in the cold while warming up. I really don't have massive experience with the Toyota diesels, I've just seen a few and I base my suppositions on what I've seen. If I was given a week to examine and drive one, I might change my opinion.

In all honesty, I am very anxious for the 07 release of the new Toyota diesel line. It'll be the first mini-truck (in reference to overall comparitive size, not capacity) of the new millenium in the US to have a diesel. There is that Jeep Liberty diesel, but its not a big enough vehicle to count for any real towing or hauling ability.

If it wasn't for the $6000 pricetag for a turnkey 1.9L VW TDI diesel (Turbo Direct Injected) I'd be saving up for one of those puppies. 150 ft/lb of torque or so is enough for me. Those things may only have 80-90 horses, but when I drive my moms Passat, I certainly feel like I'm in a sportscar.

I dunno who all has driven diesels, but for those who have, I bet you can agree its a completely different experience.

A funny thing- if I drive the Passat in a day, then my car, it feels like my clutch is gone and the engine is running on 2 cylinders. Of course, if I drive the Excursion or truck, I feel like any of our other cars is a sad, strange little beast. But I can assure you, while the truck, Ex, and Passat are fun and comfortable... I really can't imagine giving up my baby.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Land Cruisers are . . . awesome.
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

It's wierd, but here in Tasmania we have Toyota Landcruisers as firefighting vehicles.
I can jump from my Tercel to the Landcruiser and it feels identical. Larger, but identical. Throttle response, clutch response, shifting, steering, everything. I can back and forward without a problem at all.

However, if I drive the X-Trail a lot, then jump into the Landcruiser, I'm all over the show. Can't shift, can't steer, feels like it's about to fall over.

Moral of the story:- If you want to drive Landcruisers, drive Tercels :)
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"