Sigh... Tercel again

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Sigh... Tercel again

Post by Typrus »

I'm still thinking about getting a Weber. My mileage is taking a dive again. I was thinking it was about the aggressive street tires, but I'm not the only one with wider and SLIGHTLY taller tires. I'm thinking my stock carb is tired or that having the proper gaps on side-gapped, indexed plugs is not the right idea. I might swap my fuel filter for the heck of it as well. Air filter was just replaced. We'll have to see what the hell is going on. I have a lot more investigation to do, and I'll try to keep you posted, but I really want to get this figured out.

One test I'll try is to put my old tires back on for a tank.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Around Oct 1st in most places in the north is when they go to winter gas...which is a little more volatile and results in a loss of at least 2% or more in mpg.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

HAHAHAHA... I never checked the tires I got out of the yard for pressure... All were around 22 PSI out of 44 on the Kumho's and 35 on the Yoko's. Think that might help? lol.
We'll see how drastic a difference that makes.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I run my Kumho 60's at 44 PSI...22 is almost flat. Lots of traction though. Need to watch how much traction you have left when raising pressures!!!!!!

http://fueleconomytips.com/content/view/66/2/
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, my starter crapped out on me. Battery has a good charge, but all the starter wants to do is click away. I'm going to go out and look to see if my starter off the 86 will fit. If it will, its going on in short order.

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Make sure you have a good connection between the battery and starter. Check the battery terminals and the big terminal on the starter. If they're loose or corroded, you could get the symptoms you have.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

And Fumes wins the prize!! Lol.. I swapped the starter, it still didn't work, so I tested the other starter with the battery charger at 2 amps and it cranked away. So I cranked down on the terminal bolts and it fired right up. I'll be putting my money into a new battery support tray and connection terminals next $$check.

waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Apparently these starters are notorious for literally wearing away the two copper lugs inside the unit that a big copper washer contacts - all inside the starter. When this gets to an advanced stage, you will get the click(ing) you described. In this case the only remedy is to remove and disassemble the starter and change out the two copper lugs. I've had to do this twice on my '87 FWD Wagon with 247,000 km on the clock. Hope that you only had loose/dirty contacts in your case this time.