Possible replacement engine

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Possible replacement engine

Post by coltarms »

Anyone here ever heard of a 4AE Toyota Engine? It is supposedly a 4AC with EFI. I found it online at several used engine websites listed as a replacement for the 4AC (for $450.) 78HP, 87FT-LB. Toyota engine data sheet said it was used in Corollas from 81-87. That would be KICK ASS!!! I thing I can hear Typrus panting......
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

If that's so, you'll get some that are EFI, and some that are carb'd. Make sure of this before you commit to one.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well its the first time i hear of it
does any body ahve a link to somewhere i can find more info
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I tried a Google search and couldn't find any concrete evidence that it exists. But I did find a thread on Club4AG that seemed to say it didn't. :(
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

this was from a randon engine replacement warehouse
84-87 TOYOTA COROLLA FWD = 4AC 8V 4AE 1.6 450

Nice article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Wikipedia wrote:4A-F

A narrow-valve (22.3°) DOHC 4-valve carb version, the 4A-F, was produced from 1987 through 1990. Output was 90 hp (67 kW) at 6000 rpm and 95 ft·lbf (128 N·m) at 3600 rpm.
That sounds like the perfect engine for our cars. Anyone know about swapping these engines into Tercels?
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Inkyturbo wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:4A-F

A narrow-valve (22.3°) DOHC 4-valve carb version, the 4A-F, was produced from 1987 through 1990. Output was 90 hp (67 kW) at 6000 rpm and 95 ft·lbf (128 N·m) at 3600 rpm.
That sounds like the perfect engine for our cars. Anyone know about swapping these engines into Tercels?
Look for the thread about the 5AF swap. You'll need a custom header to clear the steering. Or convert to RHD! :)
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

So what do you think about the 4AE?
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

From what I got out of the 3 links I posted it's just a normal 4AC. Sort of a second code or something? :?

Now if you were to ask what I thought about the 4AC, I'd say it's just as good as the 3AC with a little extra power. :)
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

4af is gunna be a hard swap. Many minor issues to figure out. Exhaust is a main one as well as the distributer not fitting in the engine compartment. I had to hammer back the firewall and build an engine cradle drop to put in my 5af. The hood also will not fit w/o modification. It is all because of the f series head. If I had it to do again I would go w/ a c or g head because of this. I managed to bend up some stuff so now I only get defrost vents. Still have to dig around back there to see what all is busted. A mini sledge will do that.