Dash Q's

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Was there a model year that came with a tach that I could swap the cluster into my 83?
The new motor redlines at 6k or so and I realy want to hear it go that high but I am afraid of going too high and destroying everything I have done so far. I realy don't want the rice burner pizza sized tach with blinking lights and I don't want to shell out that much just for a tach.
Any help would be great.
thanks
j
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm presuming that you have an DLX model.. If you get an SR5 Instrument Cluster of someones parts car (any year) it should bolt right in to the engine and the dash and give you a Tacho while looking a lot neater than having stuff hang off your dash.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Hey what is the redline of the 3AC anyway? 6k? My SR5 tach does not have a redline(must have faded out over 22 years...)
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Yeah, 6000 rpm. I've gone higher. :D
2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

When I had my DLX I noticed a small knockout panel was in the instrument cluster. I always thought a tach would go there nciely.
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Do you guys know of anyone that has a SR5 dash they are willing to part with?

I know the red line is supposed t be higher on this motor and I want to go there but am afraid of my lead foot getting too excited. I know for sure that my powerband has shifted twards higher rpm. The butterfly valve in the intake doesn't open up until somewhere around 3500 then it really picks up.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The 4A-F is going alot faster than it sounds like it is when you're used to a 3A-C, because of the 16 valves and being so much quieter overall. I really have to pay attention to the tach and shift sooner to try to get decent mileage.
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Well I only drove it a couple of times with the 3ac in it before my x girlfriend killed it. I have been driving other cars so I realy don't have refrence pont to shoot from. I just need to get a tach.