took her out

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

well tonight i finnaly took my new toy out to the forest to see what shes cappable of, first impressions were damn lil pot holes really slam the car hard, needed to keep speads above 50 to fly over them. how fast you guys drive back roads? also went to a cender pit and put her climbing powers to the test. the ground was really soft and the slope was about 25degrees acoording to the gauge thingy. first run in first made it about half way before she died from no more power. made a run charging faster made it further. put it in el and then took a run at it and made it :) i was so happy, it was to close though, she was slowing down fast, by the time at the top i was maybe 500rpm, another few feet and it wouldnt madde it. but it was a blast.

questions
i wana get some 14s, and some small mud tires or rally tires, how will this effect offroading, rpm accelerating , top end, like what tradeoffs will i have.

how can i get some more power out of her, what exhaust is optumem for performance/ millage. mine is busted in half so i have to redue that soon , just wana do it right the first time.

anyone got sudjuestions on shocks and struts, i wana lift it 2 inch or so, and was woundering if anyone knows of another car that has the same mounting setup but maybe taller.

any input would be great thanks.
lesabre400
Advanced Member

Post by lesabre400 »

First of all (and this may answer all your questions), go to http://www.skiwagons.com. They have a way-cool wheel & tire package and a lift kit.
As for my own experience, I've managed to squeeze 195/60/15 (yes, 15") Hankook snows on Echo-size steel rims with no issues (and no lift kit). I drool over Kuhmo rally tires and wondered about those myself.
For exhaust, my Tercel just passed it's last emissions test, so I'll be removing the cat.converter (which is probably now a major source of back-pressure) which probably won't make much more power but should help it breathe. Probably not much sense in doing any more than that. If it's power you want, do the Weber conversion (I didn't, I'm too cheap). Do a search on this site - Dirtmagnet posted an excellent blow-by-blow account and the results are impressive.
Glad to hear you use your Tercel for what it was intended - going where other's can't!
I almost look forward to winter now...
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You can manage maybe 25% more power by advancing the ignition....check the Repair section. Check the Repair section for info on a DIY SS exhaust.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I did a 2 inch lift. New springs in the front made up some of the lift and for the rest I modified some rubber spring donuts that are supposed to be weaved into the coils but I found a way to make them go above the front strut and above and below the rear springs. I'll have to do a write up someday soon when I get a digicam to document it.
Then I went to 205/70/14 tires. These are my summer tires, good road tires, not really off road or winter tires. I have good 13" winters so I'm still debating wether to supersize for winter yet. I'd like to go for 15's maybe, but that means more rims and tires and more $$$.
The big difference I noticed with the 14's is starting off you don't have as much power in the low end revs. The car bogs down more off the line so you have to adjust your clutch and gas pedal action. Gotta give it more revs or it will stall. It's fine once you get used to it. 14's are nice for the highway though and good for mileage. I think I'm getting 30-35 mpg hwy. Also more clearance of course.
Oh yeah, and don't forget about bigger tires making your speedo read lower than you are actually going. I have to add 10% to what the speedo says, and my odometer lies to me by 10% as well.

did you find the link in this forum for monster trucks australia, to see what Tercels can do?

I'm also curious about exhaust setups that may help with performance. I just had my whole system replaced and the new pipes look a little on the skinny side. Anyone know if pipe diameter is much of a factor? And what about mufflers? Mine fell off a few times before I got sick of trying to reattach it and paid for the repair. When the muff was off it seemed to be a bit zippier or was it just the extra noise that made it seem that way.

Simon in cowtown
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Info in the Repair section again...a couple of links to some good exhaust writeups.

If you have an '84...you are running 10% less ratio than the '85--88s already....so you are now at a 20% lower ratio than the later T4WDS.

Like to see those spring & donut pics....torroidally shaped rubber is my specialty.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

well i had her out today again, god damn i need shocks, it bottems out way to much, but anways...

it never wants to idel after beating the hell out of her. it will just die if i dont keep it reved. but it goes back to normal after a while of normal driving. any ideas\?
tercelcalgary

Post by tercelcalgary »

:unsure:
where can i find that monster trucks australia site ?
i'd really like to see some pics!
thanx
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

<a href='http://monstertrucks.com.au/' target='_blank'>http://monstertrucks.com.au/</a>

Go to Extreme machines. then Extreme movies then scroll down to page 2

OUCH!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
tercelcalgary

Post by tercelcalgary »

thanx man, i found the movies
these guys sure know how to rip it
that tercel has a pretty hard life
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

This is what a tercel with 15" looks like. They are my 15" enkei rims off a 30X Eunos with a set of pirelli P600's on the front and P500's on the back. It goes so much better in the sand these days.

84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc