We did Tercel names, how about Member names?

Post here about...well...anything!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: We did Tercel names, how about Member names?

Post by Petros »

Vouivre?

one of these? that is scary.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

My name is Mark... I'm a bit eccentric and very much a gear-head, nuf said.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

Having a fairly common name and not wanting to use my last name generally, the username "MikeB" is usually taken. I gave up trying to come up with clever names and NotMikeB is never taken.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I think mine pretty much explains itself
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

DLB - The Suzy is doing fine, 13months and 30K later, no issues to speak of.
Its no turtle, but compared to whats currently on the market, it is a winner, just too bad they stopped making them.
In going after the bigger piece of pie, they managed to alienate their loyal customer base, yet failed to attract the masses by offering the same crap as everyone else.
The interior volume is very similar but isn't oriented as well (wider and shorter) but being able to pull a trailer makes up for that, a little.
Being my first body-on-frame vehicle in over 30 yrs, I must say I do like the quiet, tight ride and having 165hp on tap, doesn't hurt either.
The trade-off being that the fuel mileage suffers, sucks compared to the turtle but on par (or better) than current market offerings.
It is FAR more capable than most, more trucklet than cutuet.
Being that the 4WD is fully selectable (2-Hi/4-Hi/4-Lo) makes a huge difference, as does a full 8in of ground clearance.
All in all, a decent alternative.

On another note, we got rid of the RAV this fall, wife picked up a Venza V6 AWD.
Its a "pretty" vehicle with all the bells and whistles that the masses seem to want, but the fit and finish is far below what I expect from Toyota and several steps down from the Suzy.
Am not impressed with it, at all.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

glad to hear you're happy with the suzuki. why'd you get rid of the rav4? if i were going to go with a 'new' 4wd vehicle, i'd probably go for a first gen rav4, although i admit i know nothing about them. fill me in.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

She doesn't appreciate driving a standard in traffic and had been lusting after the Venza ever since it came out.
I think she's crazy, but you know what they say about a happy wife...

That said, it had 275Km on it and was going to need a new clutch at some point in the future and I had no interest in doing that (16+hrs book time)
I hated working on it, everything was difficult to access and the parts were ungodly expensive, gas mileage was less than stellar.
I found the seat base to be too short, the seat didn't have enough travel (I'm over 6ft)
Road noise was excessive, regardless of tire choice and the steering was super light and over boosted with hardly any feedback.
Being a limited, it had all the computer interventions that take ALL the fun out of driving in the snow.
Fit and finish was head and shoulders above the Venza though.

I do think the 1st gen Ravs were better vehicles, simpler beasts without all the "safety" features hers had.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

To be fair, the Venzas are pretty nice and comfort-minded. Very pretty inside.

And UNF the 2GR-FE engine is a loyal little ba--uh, thing. Someone brought in an Avalon that was running badly, sounded like it wanted to die (but wouldn't out of devotion or black magic), and smoking horribly.

Turns out it had thrown a rod that proceeded to machine a perfectly shaped hole in the side of the block.
http://imgur.com/S6FHm4j

Linking to it since it's a massive image.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

The car is the RIDLBOX because it used to not want to start and then you turn the key and it would start it was completely unexplainable It just didn't want to start sometimes .
My name is Cliff
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

David - If you are thinking of getting a RAV4, I believe the 2nd & 3rd generation RAV4's had issues with the automatic gearboxes behaving erratically because of problems with the CPU, usually after the warranty had ran out. Luckily, my wife's 2003/2004 Rav wasn't affected because it's a manual. It's a great car, but to replace the clutch you have to remove the engine. I had to do hers at 156,000km / 97,500 miles (I'm assuming your mile is the same length as the English mile, unlike your gallon). But on the bright side, it is fitted with a timing chain, not belt. Apart from the normal servicing, that I do every 5,000kms, I haven't had to do much to it - replaced the clutch, brakes, filters, oils, spark plugs, tyres. We've had it for 12 years and I still haven't had the valve cover off yet.
Talking about names - My real name is Aslan Mauthoor (originally from the island of Mauritius - of French origin)
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama