The beater's new shoes

Post here about...well...anything!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

The beater's new shoes

Post by splatterdog »

Finally putting snows on a T4. They are the new version of the proven General Altimax Arctic.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... +Arctic+12
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: The beater's new shoes

Post by splatterdog »

Just got some generic 5 spoke rims too. MR2 triangles are impossible to get caked in snow out from them!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I’d like to hear how they perform. Once you get them on the snow please post how they do.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I'm positive I will love them. Very popular as they are pretty much the best snow for the money. Money no object? Go Blizzak.. The wife got the old version last winter, and they performed great. Didn't take long until she got what I call "snow tire rage" at all the people rolling on all season tires. I also told her that defensive driving is different due to all the skaters out there. Don't jam the brakes without checking your rear view! Leaving everyone behind is what I like to do. Even with a low HP T4, all seasons did that very well. Want to beat my turd now, better have snows and maybe a true 50/50 split also..

The Arctic12's are supposed to be better in every way at pretty much the same price. The 2 nylon plies have been replaced by polyamide(essentially Kevlar).

Treadwear on the old version is impressive. A delivery driver I service with an HHR panel got tired of seasonal swaps, so he runs the Generals year round. Tires get one rotate every 50-60k/1 year. By the end of summer, the fronts are smoked, rears still great. Rears to the front, new pair in the back, good until next fall!

On a side note, there are some great all season+ tires now that do great in snow and can be run year round without a severe wear penalty. Nokian WRG3 for cars and trucks, and Cooper AT/W for trucks only(which I have on the expedition and love). The sides of many tread blocks even have treads. Even though you can, passing plow trucks should be avoided! Snow tire rage..
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

OK, not exactly new. Just like the previous Arctic tires, they are rebadged Gislaved Nordfrosts. The new Generals are Nordfrost 100's.

Older design? Yes.
Still kick ass? Pretty sure.

For unstudded ice tires there are better/more expensive choices. Blizzaks are butter soft at low temps, but wear quick. The Generals do better in deep snow and slush due to a more open tread design. No 100% perfect tire..
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Got a first impression on a customer car today. He saw mine waiting in the corner and said I want some! Going year round too as the car sees just a few thousand miles a year. 04 Buick Century with 41k..

Anyway, no traction testing. Just very impressed with how quiet and smooth they were all the way up to 70. Handled roundabouts good too, didn't seem squishy at all. Temp about 15f.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Another incremental report. Got a inch last night. Knew I should have put the tires on yesterday, but I've had enough to do just shaking off a few years of cobwebs. There was moss on my bumpers! Pretty sure I had a stuck valve for a few minutes after first start in a long time.

Anyway, got the tires on this morning and found some patches of packed down snow on side streets. Got to the shop with low mileage all seasons. After the tire swap braking was incredibly better. 2wd spin was greatly reduced, 4wd spin was impossible even with a slightly aggressive launch. Maybe with a drag race launch, but I wouldn't do that to my T4's driveline.

Someone's feelings are going to get hurt this winter when they get spanked by an old crusty 62hp turd!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Very small ice test done. I was the first one on the lake with an as close to the shore as possible U-turn. Got off so it passes! Hand augered holes on two lakes for an ice survey. First one(pictured) had 4 inches from shore all the way out. Second had 5 in the basin and 8 near shore. Fishing next weekend! But now I hope snow waits until there's at least a foot of ice..
1119171552.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Well we're having a mean little snowstorm tonight so I took the scenic route home. It was oh yeah, and then OH YEAH! Snow is wet and sloppy and starting to pack down. I always thought all seasons did good, and they did, but are no comparison to winter. Right after take off, i can go all out. Great stopping too. Can't wait for some real challenging conditions.

Anyway, about that OH YEAH. The last road I was going to test the tires on had a brand new BMW 3 series X type waiting to go left, my way. Light took longer than normal, so I made sure to indicate my impatience by revving and creeping up. Light turned and he took the bait. Crusty wagon spanked it from behind in short order. Sure I had a tire advantage but I'm guessing the bimmer had new tires too. It didn't have plates yet.

I hope he had a friend in the car to rub it in!
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Yeah, I call that "snow drags." It's great pulling up next to some performance car (or even 4WD truck) at a light, selecting EL and blowing them away when the light turns green. Only time our cars can be even remotely "fast." BTY, I've been running 185/60 14" Michelin X-ICEs on my beater in the winter for years- they work REAL good.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I always had the upper hand with all seasons in the past. Now the gloves are off. All my vehicles currently have mountain peak/snowflake badges on their tires..

Winter tires allow for maximum slowness in our cars. :lol:
Still faster than a new awd BMW!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Saved the best test for last! Official snow tally in my city was 22 inches this weekend. I spent hours driving around just for fun during this spring blizzard. Some of it trying to get stuck. Never got in anything I couldn't get back out, like the 900+ ditch divers. The car is still undefeated against everyone and the weather. Saturday I had to go off road thru the deeper snow along an uphill cloverleaf that a few others couldn't make it up at all. One skater was going to have to try and back all the way down against heavy traffic. Not counting traffic, he was having a hard time even going downhill. I guess those tires didn't make it until next winter jackass.

The last feat of strength was plowing thru an empty parking lot at the downwind end of a school last night. That turned the headlights off and was pushing snow up the hood! Kept my momentum going on that one. I was taking the scenic route on an ingredient run for dinner, so calling momma for a tow while she was cooking had to be avoided! haha Never been in headlight deep snow and still moving forward. Incredible!

Anyway, a super huge 2 thumbs up for the new Generals after this never ending winter. They did develop a strong vibe that starts at 25mph recently. Nothing a whole day of melting in the shop won't fix..

Naturally, the Terrari gets plenty credit too!