Unrelated terc question...

Post here about...well...anything!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Unrelated terc question...

Post by BaileySims »

2014 civic su turbo. Oil in the combustion chambers. Replaced the valve stem seals with same results. Compression is 150 across all 4 cylinders reason being aftermarket low compression pistons. Cylinder leak down test resulted in 37% in number 4, 24% in number 3, 20% in number 2 and 24% in number 1. Could it be possible that only the oil rings on the Pistons went bad? The Pcv checked out, turbo is not throwing oil into the intake either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Unrelated terc question...

Post by Petros »

there is an oil seal in the turbo, looks like a small piston ring goes around the shaft. Typically when they fail you get oil in the exhaust stream, not in the intake.

You say "combustion chambers", plural, is more than one oily? there is only a few places oil can get it, valve stems, rings, or going into the intake, and head gasket (though that is rare, and usually that is only at one cylinder). Possible a crack in the head, but that is also very rare, particularly for honda.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Yes. All 4 chambers are covered in oil. My first thought was the valve stem seals. The intake is really clean, but can all 4 rings go our at the exact same time? Possibly could be the rings as the cylinders are covered in oil and the compression is all the same because of said oil. It would be the equivalent of running a leakdown test with oil if that makes sense. We are just completely lost in all this. With the leakdown test we did with the air, you could hear it come out of the oil cap area the most. I guess the only way to figure it out for good would be to take the head off and pull the Pistons too. I'm baffeled.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is hard to believe a Honda engine that new would become an oil pumper like that. Was some maintenance done to it recently, or some major repair? something that might cause that if done improperly? Or was it perhaps left for many months without running? this can cause the rings to gum up and stick, and not seal.

rings actually do tend to wear out evenly, more or less. but never in only 2 years, unless something really bad happened to it. like if it was badly overheated, the hard steel rings could lose their heat treat and no longer seal against the cylinder walls. I have seen rings either installed incorrectly, damaged or even broken from ping or overheating. It seems very unlikely that they would give up at only 2 years old.

some people have had good luck by using seafoam to clean out gum and sludge from around the rings, in fact one story with good results was even in a Honda civic. if the car had been in storage for a long time, this might be a possibility, and a Seafoam treatment in the oil might correct it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Well, when the car was first purchased, it was completely stock. No turbo or anything else. Then he decided to purchase and install one. Hooked something up wrong and took it out to street tune it with a buddy. Something messed up and they put a rod through the block. He then took it to a well known local performance shop to have it fixed. They put a new block, carillo pistons and rings and Manley rods I believe. Stock head with the turbo pushing 7psi.

It worked fine for months after up until he took it out one night racing I believe and I'm not too sure what entirely happened but he was saying he either red lined it in 4th or 5th gear to see how fast it would go. Something soon after happened to the transmission causing it not to shift and they drove it home in 2nd gear which was probably for a good while. He is saying he doesn't remember it smoking until after we pulled the transmission and fixed the clutch, which sounds weird to me.

With everything we checked id figure it has to be the rings but he as well as I are not 100 % sure. He doesn't really have the money to do anything about it just yet because he uses the car for work. His intentions are to sell the car but I think he would rather fix the burning oil issue first.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.