timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

PNW storm

Post by timothygodden »

Worst storm in 50 years :shock:
67328539.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: PNW storm

Post by Mark »

A lid on our garbage can was on the ground next to the garbage can this morning. There were also some left-over raindrops on the car so I thing it might have rained a bit. The garbage can lid might have been from a raccoon though.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

After spending 5 weeks in Savannah, GA I came home to find leaves on the grass...

Stay strong.

M_M
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

our power went out several times, and we got a lot of leaves blowing around. but it is normal for the power to go out where we live anyway. no floods, no downed trees. it was the media that hyped it up, ignoring the low probability.

There were a few small tornado in Oregon that did some local damage near the coast, but Puget Sound just had a typical blustery fall day with a lot of rain.

https://www.facebook.com/nathaniellugg/ ... 961859567/
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

HAW!
The video reminds of an STL phenomenon.
At the first sign of a snowflake, there is a simply tremendous run on grocery stores for milk, eggs, and bread. Other staples, including meat, take a back seat.
The standard joke here is that we live on just French bread until the snow melts.
I wonder if it is the same in other cities?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

this is the kind of panic that large city dweller that live in apartments suffer. with the power out they typically have no way to stay warm, or cook. YOu can always tell at the supermarkets during a big storm, they are miserable, unhappy, and complaining. One time our power was out for four days, I stopped by the super market to pick up a few items: every bread item was gone, shelf completely empty; all pesto logs, lighters, matches and fire starters were gone, as well as all BBQ bricketts. All candles completely gone, All bottled water, every last one in every size was gone. (just like in the video!). lots of fresh and frozen food, as anything that needed to be cooked ,was in full supply. It was kind of weird, like some kind of disaster movie...I wondering why the panic shopping. We always have plenty of that stuff on hand because it is 30-40 min to super market from our house, and trouble some to run out while cooking. No panic in our hose if the power goes out either, in fact my two daughters always thought it was fun, like camping: candles, oil lamps, cooking on a wood stove (lots of hot chocolate and pop corn), we play games or read books to each other by candle light.

almost all private homes have fireplace and/or wood stoves, and all of the homes in rural areas where we live have more than one way to keep the home warm without power: wood stove, kerosene heater, propane stoves (we have all three!). Rural areas are much more used to being self sufficient, power out is just an inconvenience. Every room of our house has flash lights within arm's reach, and when my girls were small each had their own little flash light to carry around during the winter.

So this parody shown in the video is so typical of city dwellers in this area, it is so true it is funny, we all know someone like that! LoL, "beans! I need beans!" why beans? I hate most beans, especially canned ones. Last thing I want to eat in an emergency...I eat "energy bars"!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Petros wrote:...it was the media that hyped it up, ignoring the low probability. There were a few small tornado in Oregon that did some local damage near the coast...
I'm sure the folks in Manzanita would disagree that this pair of systems was hyped up.

The fact of the matter is that weather prediction is still an inexact science, you even pointed that out in the run-up to the Tercel meet in Everett. The Puget Sound region also has this tricky convergence zone that can trip up even the most sage and savvy of forecasters.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the coast is a wide open target for north Pacific storm systems, but inland areas like Puget Sound are mostly protected from the severe storms. The local media hyped up the risk to the Seattle area, even though there was lots of hedging about that by the weather professionals. of course the news media does not want the details, they want viewers to stay engaged. Panic type "news" is always good to keep viewers tuned in, and their ratings high.