TercelCars5
My tercel:: 82.83.84.84.84.85

Performance engine ideas

Post by TercelCars5 »

I have 11 Tercel cars....

- 82 Corolla Tercel x1
- 83 T4wd x2
- 84 T4wd x4
- 85 T4wd x2 (one is JDM sprinter Carib)
- 86 T4wd x2 (1 was taken apart for parts, its ok, it was an Auto, RIP)
- 87 T4wd x1

I am looking at a junker daily driver that can move, what do you think I can do to make it happen?

I have 2 in rough condition that are work cars, the 87 has no motor it was removed as a spare because the trans was blown. & will get a gutless 82 Datsun 720 diesel engine and trans, will be 2wd (rear) when done.

What is a good motor that I can put in for a FAST rear wheel drive car (not oem trans)? I might have a chance at an 81 22R motor and trans, but want something Fast.

Harder to do, but have a 2001 Honda H22A VTEC front wheel drive.......

But I know these are NOT made to go fast, just want a head turner that looks like a junker.

I have a 60's 3.7 slant six , but it might not fit.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Performance engine ideas

Post by teranfirbt »

If you've got fabrication skills there are always options. If you're not married to a Toyota engine, the drivetrain out of an S2000 would be expensive but plenty fast. JDM can get you an Altezza 3SGE and 6 speed transmission, again fairly expensive.

The hardest part will be fitting longer engines, I don't think you'd be able to get a JZ inline 6 because of the length.I think you can combine a 3VZFE out of an early 90's Camry with the R15* transmission out of a 2WD V6 Taco or T100 truck, that'll make a good 220 hp if you run stand alone engine management.

The hardest part will be the rear end, you'll need to find something with a ring gear bigger than 6.4" that is fairly narrow. 1st gen supra rear ends are a little longer but require the control arm pickups to be moved. AE86 rear end is bolt end as I recall but is kind of weak for anything over 150hp.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the 22r option was discussed here, it is a much taller and larger engine, though it might be made to fit with a trans, but the driveshaft tunnel is about 6" lower because of the strange configuration of the Tercel trans. so it would only be made to work if you cut the whole tunnel out and raise it up so the engine and trans will fit in it.

the best option for more power is to install a 4AFE or even better, a 4AGE. Both will bolt to the stock trans, both are efi and will require installing the ECM and wire harness, and high pressure fuel pump. Likely easiest way to make the 4afe fit is to go to distributor-less ignition, 4age distributor is in an acceptable location. both will require custom header and exhaust fabrication. The 4age flywheel has to be cut down to take the Tercel ring gear.

A really simple option is to use corolla 4AC engine, with a weber, a Delta cam regrind. It all bolts in and will give you some 30 more hp, so it will not be exactly a head turner, but the simplest and lowest cost up engine swap.

If you are going to cut and weld, and consider keeping the 4wd, you might look at the older 4wd pick up trucks with the 21R or 22R engine, the trans looks very similar to the Tercel trans, but larger. But that too would take a lot of cutting and welding, and you would have to mount a separate front diff perhasp using the truck sub frame. It would put the Tercel up in the air, with really big tires on it, it would be a head turner. And a much more useful vehicle than a pick-up truck!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I wonder if you could fit a GM pushrod V-6, 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4L. They are pretty compact.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Olds Quad-4 with a Ford C4 automatic would be a far better choice over the GM v6. Or the Ford 2.3 turbo and no adapter. I think there are other engine adapters for the C4, which is very small but capable for it's size. Supercharged Buick 3800 would be scary!

No need to be a purist on a frankencar...
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Sr20 swap from a Nissan 240 would be pretty cool and theres a huge aftermarket support for them.... Probably wouldn't be cheap though....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am very familiar with the Nissan engines, I think I would rather use a Nissan over a ford or GM engine. It would be lighter and more efficient, reliable and more suitable for this size and weight of car.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

I like your ideas!
How about a complete swap from a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R?
SR20 + full time 4wd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFSsy2_Nno

somebody please do this swap lol
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if you can find one of those cars that someone wrapped around a tree or rolled several times, it would be a good source of parts. It would be a major project to make it work, but as long as the sub frame in the front on the Tercel was far enough apart, it would not be too bad a job.

OTOH, you can stay all Toyota and do what Larry McGrath did and shoe horn in a 20-valve 4age (or go for the turbo 20-v4age!!!), more than triple the hp, and lots of performance parts available fairly cheap.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I really wouldn't mind having a wagon converted to rwd only with a built 20v 4age, or sr20, or 4g63, and a big nice turbo on it. If my trans ever blows then I honestly have thought about that, but I'm not sure what it would take to convert it to rwd though....haha, I do have a complete rear subframe and lsd diff from a Miata that I've thought about taking some measurements of just to see if it was possible... Irs, lsd and its good for about 300hp, which would be plenty for the Terc. Honestly you'd probably be lucky if you didn't twist the chassis with 300hp...
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I've definitely entertained the idea of a bigger engine set up RWD if I blow my trans, Camry V6 or something. Would take a different rear end to make it happen, but would be pretty badass.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I say use the complete chassis out of a Celica all-trac. Already turbocharged 3S-gte and all-wheel drive. Would be ridiculous in a 2400 lb car.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

where you gonna find a Celica all-trac? they are darned rare as it is, and are likely becoming collector status cars by now.

There are a number of AWD Camarys that are showing up in wrecking yards, that would be an interesing swap. EFi V6, auto trans AWD. would likely need much stiffer suspension to take all that extra weight, but it would be a fun car to throw around.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Your right about the rarity of the celica. Just thought I'd throw it out there. The all-trac Camry is actually the Same drivetrain as the celica, just without the turbo. The all-trac Camry was only available with the 3S-fe. No V-6 option was available. I was actually looking for a clean example of one when I ran across my Tercel.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I like the Celica All-Trac idea. They have a forum: www.alltrac.net

A spendy build, but it would be sweet to see someone here pull it off.