If You Want To Save America And The World:

Post here about...well...anything!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: If You Want To Save America And The World:

Post by Mattel »

Jonymoto wrote:http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingswoo ... 1110280966

Matt, have you seen this one? Been on gum tree for a long time now.

Hi jony, Yes - That one was on here for a while when the present owner bought it and drove it from SA.
viewtopic.php?t=10427

This one has the same paint and trim colour as my last departed one but no AC or sunroof sadly. It would just make me miss my old one so much! I'd like to get one again but my corolla 4wd is so much more quiet on the highway and tows my caravan so I probably wont change back unless this unicorn rare immaculate gunmetal 1987 tercel SR5 with black interior comes up on the market sometime
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Mattel wrote:I just want to save all the Tercel 4wds

I must concur with this statement we should save the Tercels I myself have never been much of a political man and I don't agree with nor do I trust any political party
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Ridlbox wrote:

I must concur with this statement we should save the Tercels I myself have never been much of a political man and I don't agree with nor do I trust any political party
It seems to be something we do around here every so ofthen is to have a big debate about politics and then go back to talking about cars. No hard feelings and if anything helps to clear the air a little - everyone gets a say and then get back to the important stuff like head gaskets and stuff :)
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I agree too. Get things off your chest and we get to compare your situations with ours. At the end of the day we can't really do anything about it. Let's share infos to keep those Tercels going and from the scrap heap. Mine is getting new tinted windows tomorrow. I can't believe I haven't done it before. A guy saw my Tercel in the car park and wanted to buy it. He said that it would look very nice with tinted windows. So I'm taking his advice.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

Where do I find the thread that tells about converting to electronic ignition?
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Atoyta, I did the conversion on my Tercel. I replaced mine with one from a 4AC engine (Corolla AE80 or AE82 I think). If nobody responds with a thread I will write something up for you and include some photos. Is yours fitted with a single vacuum advance canister?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

MAKE THE TERCEL GREAT AGAIN!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I'm convinced that the two-party system is what's really wrong with America. We are such a diverse nation, all of us immigrants, that two buckets of ideology cannot hope to contain the full breadth of ideas and beliefs of our population.

As the first country to dedicate lands for a national park, I'm amazed that we don't have a stronger green party. The way manufacturing is going, I'm shocked there isn't a labor party, etc., etc.

Depending on how the primary shakes out, this year may be the last that I affiliate myself with one of The Big Two.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

The Professor wrote:I'm convinced that the two-party system is what's really wrong with America. We are such a diverse nation, all of us immigrants, that two buckets of ideology cannot hope to contain the full breadth of ideas and beliefs of our population.

As the first country to dedicate lands for a national park, I'm amazed that we don't have a stronger green party. The way manufacturing is going, I'm shocked there isn't a labor party, etc., etc.
i totally agree.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

atoyta,

all north American Tercel already had the electronic ignition, so there was no need to make a thread on the topic. Though one would be welcome for our fellow overseas Tercelanaughts.

The same electronic distributor that comes in the 4ac in the corolla fits right into the 3ac mount, it is what we got in North America. It has the built-in coil, pick-up and CD ignition all in one unit. there is a simple two wire connection on the distributor, one is for 12v (from the ignition switch), the other contact is the signal for the tachometer, if you are so equipped. It should be an easy swap out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

In Oz, the 4AC distributor doesn't have a built-in coil. So try to get one that's fitted with a coil. If not you will have to replace the coil as well. You won't need the resistor that is fitted to the 3AC coil. Also the electrical plug that connects the coil to the dizzy is different on the 4AC. I just cut it off and solder the 2 wires directly to the ones from the coil. Let me know if you need photos to help you.
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

Petros wrote:atoyta,

all north American Tercel already had the electronic ignition, so there was no need to make a thread on the topic.
My 83 has a points distributor, it may be a Canada car. Time to troll the junkyards, thanks for the info guys.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

atoyta wrote:
Petros wrote:atoyta,

all north American Tercel already had the electronic ignition, so there was no need to make a thread on the topic.
My 83 has a points distributor, it may be a Canada car. Time to troll the junkyards, thanks for the info guys.
that's really weird. i've never seen or heard of anyone else here in canada or the US having a second gen tercel with a points distributor. yours is a real anomaly.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

perhaps Toyota was using old points distributor parts to unload them on the cars they sent down under (likely since the regulations allowed it).

There have been other members, I think one in India, that also had an old points type distributor, I may have seen it in a forum member's car from England as well.

The rest of the world got the electric ignition. It is a fairly easy swap I am sure.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Very easy. The only part that was confusing was due to the 3AC dizzy having only one vacuum advance canister whereas the 4AC dizzy has 2 vac canisters. The top one is connected to the base of the carbie (same as the 3AC dizzy) and the bottom one to the intake manifold (thanks again dlb). There's a tube already from the intake manifold to the TVSV. I cut that tube and inserted a tee.