Death Valley road trip

Post here about...well...anything!
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Death Valley road trip

Post by Ridlbox »

So my dad this last couple of weeks decided he was just going to take a road trip in his Tercel he left from Sacramento went up through Reno and then all the way down to death Valley apparently he had an awesome trip he came back with a smile on his face no problems with the car at all other than the CV boot knocking I replaced that when he got back he wants to put a fuel injected motor in his car now with a 2 inch lift that's his plan.

He really does love his Tercel
I will send photos when I receive them
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Death Valley road trip

Post by takza »

All I can say is watch the transmission in your T4wd if you get into climbing rough slopes...etc. Especially if you have higher miles on it.

Also need to watch hitting the alum trans on rocks in the center of trails...ALWAYS keep the center of the car away from high spots?

Easy way to get a bit of lift is to put on bigger tires/wheels...one size up?...and maybe some rubber donuts in the springs to give a little boost. A big lift is asking for trouble with these cars....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

I have found a shop in Reno Nevada that says it for $150 per court they will lift the car so about 600 bucks all the way around for a real lift kit
That's my new goal 8)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

image.jpeg
Picture in line pine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's my new goal 8)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Ridlbox wrote:
image.jpeg
Picture in line pine
Wow looks a lot like Lone Pine to me :lol: :oldgeek:
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

Stupid auto correct
That's my new goal 8)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

Here is a picture of the Tercel next
image.jpeg
to my step brother's Toyota 4runner in Death Valley.
Only about 700 miles from home
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's my new goal 8)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

That 700 miles round-trip not one way
That's my new goal 8)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I looked it up on Google map. The shortest route from Sacramento is about 435 miles one way. That would've been a very enjoyable drive. When I retire I hope to go round Oz in my Tercel, but I'm sure the missus will insist on taking the RAV.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

when was Death Valley made a national park? That would take all the fun out of it.

I was there a number of times over 30 years ago, it was all Bureau of Land Management land than, you can drive off road anywhere you wanted, and camp anywhere, no fees or rangers to bother you. And you could collect rocks, arrow heads, artifacts, gold, etc. all you wanted (and we did while camping there). Not so any more unfortunately. I do not know why it would be made into a national park either, it is mostly very remote, very hot and dry desert. We would go in January, best time of year to go.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

In death Valley was turned into a national park Because the elevation is the lowest elevation in California it's even below sea level
That's my new goal 8)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I know it is below sea level (I have been there a number of times). That does not seem a reason to turn it into a national park, with all of the costs and restrictions that come with it.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Yea...it's a PITA when you can't do what you want. But then consider the number of people that want to do just that. I've camped over much of the west and 99% of the time it wasn't in National Parks....too many restrictions. There is a lot of Forest Service/BLM/state land to camp on.

I've thought of touring the National Parks...but knowing myself...it would take just a few days of being around people before I'd hit the boonies.

Just to the east of Death Valley is the Panamint Valley....I camped around there in a bus for a while. So happens I probably camped up the same draw that Manson and followers were camped in a bus...happened to be a flat spot there....or maybe it was made by them...hard to say. There were a few desert palms up in the draw.

Remember...everywhere you go...the "local yokels" got there first.

If you want to get out in the boonies and be left alone...you need to get out at least 100 miles from the nearest big town/city. Of course this was 20 or more years ago....with the sagebrush thing and drug cops...etc...hard to say now. You are probably rustling cattle...cutting xmas trees...and many other nefarious things. I didn't light camp fires...took my trash with me...didn't run over the vegetation for the most part. Tire tracks and poop was all I left. Stay away from anything that might be valuable...cows...cabins...etc and they might leave you alone.

Usually in the west people out in the country leave you alone....if they want you to know they are there...they might fire off a shot. If I didn't hear a whine/whistle/or something hitting...I usually took note and ignored it. If you're not dead it doesn't matter...at least that's what Lefty used to say.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I spent a week exploring the sand dunes at the north end of Panamint valley 30 years ago. found arrowheads, indian pottary shards, artillery shells, cools stuff (it was used for training troops for north Africa campaign in WW2). way better than being in a National park, where you have to wear cloths and keep your dog on a leash at all times.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I looked at the dunes thru my binocs...it was a pretty long hike to get to them. LOL. I did check out the rock formations along the dry lake...looking for caves.

While I was there there was a guy taking photos using an old tripod camera setup...and one person did hike down to the dunes.

Down south of the highway that runs east to Death Valley there is a dry lake where I was running my moped around out of boredom for the most part...people were there to put up a hot air balloon...but I guess the weather wasn't right. Had a navy jet buzz me...flying maybe 150 feet above, but managed to keep heading east up the side of the mountain towards Death Valley.

Fun thing is to use Google maps...the program...to check out some of the places I've seen.