Successful move cross country

Post here about...well...anything!
cromagmom
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 Tercel 4wd

Successful move cross country

Post by cromagmom »

Managed to pack it full and move from NC to NM. 65 mph the whole way, and the only symptom of the trip is a metal-on-metal grinding noise from the front passenger axle! 8)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Re: Successful move cross country

Post by Ridlbox »

Sweet ,check your car out soon it gets expensive if you don't hurry and fix a grinding sound
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Wow, that is ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag right there. Like a stick shift suitcase.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Congrats! Glad the trip had no hiccups, especially no flats. My last one was on a stuff sacked T4. Also found out 195/70/14's, even flat, barely fit halfway in the spare hole.

Wow, a whole move in one trip. In a T4. Just my T4 accumulations would take at least 2-3 trips.

Better get on that grinding noise!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Nice setup! well done on the move!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Only 65? Pshaw... :lol:

Where in NM? I'm in farmington. We should meet up sometime. I have too many parts and could toss you some.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
cromagmom
Advanced Member

Post by cromagmom »

Moved to Albuquerque for a job at UNM and curiosity about the SW. I would definitely be keen on meeting up and getting some parts to throw on here and there. I'm pretty surprised there were no issues. I had to toss a decent amount of stuff out to make it in one move!

I'm pretty sure the grinding when turning is in the CV. There was a tear in the boot when I bought it and grease has been bleeding out since then (over a year). The trip also ended up burning a bunch of oil, which had never happened on my more frequent 3-6ish hour trips. I'm about to order a GSP front right axle from rock auto. They're only $28 right now! I'll throw on a new ball joint, too. Upon visual inspection, nothing really popped out.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh I have a ton of decent used axles but 28 dollars is hard to beat...

I took our old 83 80mph through Utah and Nevada loaded up with a spare transmission and alloys... Those were the days!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

grinding sounds usually indicate bearings, whereas CV axles tend to click or clunk when they go bad. it's possible your CV is the source of the grinding but it would be worth examining the condition of the front right wheel bearing when you replace the CV, just to confirm it is not the problem.
cromagmom
Advanced Member

Post by cromagmom »

Swapped out the CV and that got rid of the problem! Didn't have too much trouble after I switched the new clip out for the old one.

Can or should the carb be adjusted with the idle mixture for its new life at 5,300' (its lived for the past 32 years at or below 700')? I've noticed some struggles going east on I-40 when I head to the Sandias, which is about a 2-3% slope on average.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The idle mixture only affects idle and will do nothing for you while driving.

You will notice a BIG power loss going from 700 feet to 5000 feet. Just part of life, especially with a carbed car, and a car with not much reserve power to begin with.

When we got our first Tercel, we thought it was very nice power wise, but we were at sea level. When we drove home, and got to colorado, at 5,000 feet, we promptly named her Pokey.

A HAC will help with the rich running, though.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i agree with irowiki. the higher you go, the leaner you run. this improves fuel economy but at the expense of power.

as an interesting side note, our last 7.5 L f-350 truck from 1991 routinely averaged 9 mpg. it would get 10 mpg on highway driving if we were really careful. but on our last road trip through the rockies and on to yellowstone park, the higher we got, the better our fuel economy got. in yellowstone (6000-7000 ft, the highest point of our trip) we averaged 12 mpg -- that's only 2 mpg more but consider that's a 20% increase in fuel economy and it's actually a huge difference. i was surprised that engine was affected since it was fuel injected but i read about it when we got home and learned that the oxygen sensor sees less air (due to air being thinner at higher altitudes) so the ECU decreases the fuel to match it. i don't know how well the HAC in tercels works but i'd be curious to see some A-B testing with it and without it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The HAC has a little valve that starts opening above 3,800 feet or so to deliver extra air.

The default setup on the tercel carb is to always give the same amount of gas, so less air at elevation, and more gas.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:The default setup on the tercel carb is to always give the same amount of gas, so less air at elevation, and more gas.
but then what does the o2 sensor on the US models do? it seems like that would be one of its primary purposes. here's a good page i just found on what o2 sensors do.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question257.htm
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The only thing the O2 sensor on the US models does is control the EBCV (via the "computer"), which adds extra bleed air. The HAC is slaved into the same air lines but is mechanical, and independent of the computer.

Now with that said, my old 83 did not have a HAC and still did very good over the mountains, so when everything is working fine, I guess it isn't needed as much. My long term plan was to add in a HAC to see how different everything was, but I never got around to it.

My old 84 on the other hand, I think the EBCV was broken, or the computer was broken, and it had no HAC. It always ran terribly rich, especially at higher elevations.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k