Road Noise

Post here about...well...anything!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Road Noise

Post by Jonymoto »

"Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise" says Xirdneh.

I was driving my wife's Rav4 last weekend as I needed to use the trailer. Apart from the extra 58kw of power, I noticed that it wasn't as noisy as the Tercel in terms of road noise, especially from the back. I did the rear wheel bearings recently, so it's not them. And the noise is no worse than when it was a newer car, just relative to the RAV4 it is and the RAV itself is not very quiet compared to a Sedan. So it got me thinking about improving that situation. The tyres on the Tercel are almost brand new Goodyear.
Has anyone fitted sound deadener in their Tercels, like Dynamat? If so, did it make any difference?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Road Noise

Post by dlb »

i haven't tried improving sound deadening and can't contribute anything in that way, but did want to mention that i have noticed that all entry level cars seem to be really loud inside, and that noise improves as the cars get 'nicer.' for example, my corolla is a lot quieter than my tercels were, but a camry is even quieter. i guess sound deadening is one of the things manufacturers cut corners on when making cheap entry level cars. my wife's 92 civic is the worst though, far more so than any tercel, even one with bad bearings. i've driven a few civics of the same generation and they're all so loud that the first time i drove one, i thought all the bearings must be shot. after a few more similar experiences, i figured that's just the way they are.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I instaled insulation that they wrap A/C house ducking with --glued in place in floor boards and doors, if you look in my post Larrys tercel gets a v20 B/T you'll see where it was installed . Works great and realy cut the noise level by 60- 70% and it is cheap Larry its on page 8 larry :D
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Pulled the seats and carpets (front, rear and cargo area) out of both my '87 wagons and cleaned them with floor cleaner, a scrub brush, and a hose (they were FILTHY.) The factory jute insulation backing kinda took a beating, so I got some 1/2" foam carpet underlayment from Home Depot and spray-glued it to the bottom of all the mats. Made a big difference in the noise level, and seems to be warmer in the winter.

Let us know how it works out!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

here's the link to the post larry mentioned:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7576&start=105#p68994
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the more sound deadening insulation you put in the car, the more weight you add to it. We once had a Buick that was given to us, I did not care for the car much so my wife drove it. it was very quiet inside. eventually it developed a leak I could not track down, tried many times and used various methods, even a so called "pro" that I paid to find the leak could not locate it. In the process I removed the seats and carpet so they would not get moldy, the floor would fill with water like a tub, so I removed the rubber drain plug and it all drained out. We drove it one winter like that, and it was as noisy as a '59 pick up truck. The moulded insulation layers under the carpet was over an inch thick of very dense foam material. they must have weight over a hundred pounds (even when dry).

It is high density layers that the stops the noise, very light weight insulation will stop heat loss, but not do much to stop noise. It takes mass. Anything you add under the carpets would help, but the more dense the better. Also, make or add a boot to the shift lever, and make sure your door seals, the seals on the fire wall for the wire bundles are all good (or use silicone sealer on them). These all let noise in.

I have been meaning to try some of that noise deadening insulation on my Tercel next time I have the carpets out to clean them. the best ones have a layer of metal in them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks guys. I'm very encouraged by what Larry said. So I've got myself a project. Still got to change the rear diff to 4.1 ratio and get the windows tinted as well.
I will keep you updated and include photos.
Thanks for putting up Larry's link DLB (PS - I didn't know Vancouver was also an island until I looked up your location on a map a few weeks ago. I knew about Vancouver city though).
This is a fantastic site. Compliments to all of you.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If you have rust holes, that's an entry point for noise too. Dynamat(or equivalent) helps a lot for sound deadening. I think there is a roofing product that is similar at much less cost. Might have more odor though.

Drove a BMW 7 series once. Quietest car I ever drove. Doesn't make me want one though. I have a 5 door minimum.

195/70R14 tires will take away about 200 rpms at cruising speed. That helps too.

Been wanting to fab the OE air cleaner to the weber. Open element air cleaners are always noisy.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I can definitely vouch for the Camry being very nice when it comes to road noise!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k