Does anyone miss any of their exes?

Post here about...well...anything!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Does anyone miss any of their exes?

Post by Petros »

That is the mark III or thrid gen Rav4, I love that version.

The rav4 is actually descended from the Tercel4wd. There was first the T4wd from '83-'88 which was very successful model (and still popular around here), it was replaced with the all-trac Corolla from '88 to about '92 (in North America anyway). the all-trac did not sell nearly as well, though a nicer car, I think it was not as well suited to rough roads as the Tercel, and likely too costly compared to the mechanically simple Tercel4wd.

Right after that they introduced the first gen Rav4, back to a simple and compact 4wd with a 4 cyl engine. The early one was kind of odd styling I think, but it has started to grow on me. Both of my sisters bought one, but different generation models. the third gen Rav4 got bigger, but was still not a bad little 4wd, that is the style you have. when they introduced the V6, it made no sense in it was no longer small, light nor economical, should it be called a RAV6? I like that short wheel base model with the 4 cylinder engine, a good size and good visibility.

It was this third gen model that was eventually stretched about 25 cm, and got bigger and heavier, so it needed the v6. But that made it even heavier, I test drove one, it felt heavy and economy suffered. I imagine the suspension parts would wear out much faster too. the current fourth gen model has become even larger (and ugly), and most frustrating to me, they pinched the rear windows down to go with current styling trends. You can not see anything out the back, rear windows on both the sides and back are almost useless decorations.

There are just no small 4wd cars available any more, they do have AWD Yaris both in Japan and Europe, but not in North America. I wish we could get them here. Best thing we got is the Suzuki SX4 AWD, but they stopped importing those all together a few years ago so parts may become a problem, they never sold a lot of them in the first place.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

You are right the new Rav4 is big and ugly. The Suzuki SX4 AWD is still available here. We do not get the AWD Yaris either.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Guys you're going off-topic lol, but nice pics! :D
K-Business
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I don't see what that has to do with vacuum, at least not the way it is connected right now. Its in the valve cover, not the intake manifold and it just has a short hose looped to itself.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Keith - I have since removed the thermostatic valve. The horizontal port used to be connected to a port on the base of the carburettor and the vertical port to the vacuum advance canister on the dizzy (single canister point dizzy). I replaced the dizzy with an electronic one with 2 vac adv canisters. Now they are connected directly to the carb and intake manifold. In the photo I had a hose looped between the ports to keep dusts out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hey Jonymoto My old red Tercel had a similar look to yours. I also had the electronic dizzy mod. I miss them both!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Mattel - Yours was the SR5 model. Mine is just the dlx. When I bought mine I was upgrading from a old Corona with a trade in value of $500. I couldn't afford to pay the extra $1k for the alloy wheels, inclinometer and better seats. Terceldude, sorry we are going off topic again.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Jony,
The previous owner of mine had ticked the sunroof option as well which I think was another $1,000 or so at the time as well as the AC as well as CB aerial and metal sump guard so would have been pricey!. The wheels I got off the green tercel that was my previous one that had corrosion in the A pillar and roof. The white wheels kinda look better I reckon though. funny enough I sold the green one ten years ago and it is still driving around Hamilton in the west of Victoria - with the red one I used to have people come up to me at music festivals and the like and talk to me about my Tercel and this was five years ago. I never see them anymore but there used to be about four or so within a km of where I was living in Fitzroy.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

I bought my electronic dizzy and a Tercel manual from a very nice young guy in Fitzroy a few years ago. He had upgraded to a Corolla 4wd, it wasn't you by any chance? If so we've met.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Ha! cheers, yes it was - I remember that we has a little chat! Glad yours is still on the road. Wish i had kept mine but I would have wanted to fiddle with it to much (a little more power and noise reduction would have been good!) but i'm not sure if that was an electronic distributor or not.
I still have the red reflector from the licence plate in my garage.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Yes, I remember you very well. You wanted to give me the manual for free, but I gave you $5 for it because that's all the change I had. I'm always buying Tercel parts whether I need them or not because they are getting very rare now. I would like to think that the dizzy you sold me is the one in my car. We should meet again. Now Terceldude is going to be more upset for us getting off topic. Sorry mate.
I saw your video driving in the sand in the 4wd corolla. That was great. Somebody wanted to know why you would drive your 4wd in the sand - probably because we don't have snow here.
Hey, what are the chances of 2 Aussies meeting each other again on an American/Canadian Tercel web site - incredible?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

This is a great forum and although I don't have a tercel I've stayed on as a moderator. I've been meeting up with some guys with Corolla 4wds in Melbourne. 1 guy autocrosses his. Another guy has made a really nice clean show car. One guy has a JDM with all the mod cons. and another who runs the AE95 facebook page. recently we bought a JDM carib from Melbourne so we could get all the parts of it. I needed a glass sunroof as my metal one had rusted badly and we took the whole thing apart over a weekend and divided all the parts between us for about $200 each. You should bring your Tercel down to a Toyota club car meet sometime. I'm sure a lot of people would like to look at it especially as it looks so pristine. It would be good to catch you!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Yes, that would be great. I will pm you. I see from your posts that you've been travelling in Europe recently. I going there end July- end September on long service leave. It would be great to get some tips from you.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Mattel, When I bought my 4AC engine, it came with a manual gearbox. Do you know anyone in your Corolla club that could be doing with it? I have no need for it and I'm happy to give it to someone for free. I don't know its condition though. I was thinking of taking it apart for the synchros, but I very much doubt they will be the same as the Tercel
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Hi Jony, That time of year is pretty busy in europe but if you are an early riser you can get to see a lot of the great sights before the crowds especially in Paris, Rome and Barcelona. If going for that long it might be a good idea to do a car rental through renault or citroen where you end up with a really good rate and its cheap if you don't use the major toll roads and also don't drive in the cities it's too chaotic and expensive! I would also look at Airbnb for accommodation. its a great way to live in places the locals do rather than the hotel experience!