Running The Tercel On Petrol Fume

Post here about...well...anything!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Running The Tercel On Petrol Fume

Post by Jonymoto »

I keep seeing video's on Youtube with people claiming to be able to run their cars/mowers/trucks on petrol/gas fume. Have any of you guys try that on your Tercels?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Running The Tercel On Petrol Fume

Post by Gottolovem »

I'll go with this guy's explanation!

http://jalopnik.com/that-video-of-the-g ... 1633938925
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks Gottolovem. My engineering experience tells me that it was all bullshit, but rather than try to disprove it for myself, I thought that I would ask you guys.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can not run a car on fumes, that is BS and silly. the fuel metering on all engine designed for liquid fuels will not work correctly with vapors or even a gaseous fuel.

in fact it is not efficient to run an engine on fully vaporized gasoline anyway. they have learned from experiments that the best efficiency comes when you have about 40 percent fuel vapor, and 60 percent droplets entering the combustion chamber. Pure fuel vapor lowers the mixture density and does not burn as efficiently.

BTW, a lot of the scam "devices" that are supposed to improve "fuel atomization" (i.e. vaporizing) to improve fuel economy will not work. Most reduce efficiency slightly, or have no effect at all. Save your money.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote:BTW, a lot of the scam "devices" that are supposed to improve "fuel atomization" (i.e. vaporizing) to improve fuel economy will not work. Most reduce efficiency slightly, or have no effect at all. Save your money.
What - you mean the magnets I have encircling my fuel lines have no effect? :o and :shock:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

My underhood gas can is because I have a secret device that actually produces gasoline! I know, it sounds too good to be true. When coupled with the top super secret 100mpg carb we've all heard of, the mileage gains are beyond incredible. You will be selling your excess fuel to friends or even giving it away when you don't have anywhere to put it. Never mind the limitless potential once the patent is approved. All I need at this point is investors. Anyone here want in?

And no, you can't see it.

Next, I will be converting OBD2 cars to run only on their evap system. Should be a piece of cake!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

splatterdog wrote:Next, I will be converting OBD2 cars to run only on their evap system. Should be a piece of cake!
I guffawed out loud.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I'm still waiting for cars that run on water (by cracking the hydrogen out of it)
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Not sure what you are looking at on YouTube, but the Pogue carburetor has been around for a long time, like turn of the last century actually1930. It uses a sponge saturated with gasoline that air is directed through to pick up the vapors. It worked. BUT it is not practical for an automobile especially today.

For more information see http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can also "run" and engine on compressed air, it does not mean it is efficient or desirable.

BTW, there are some little plastic cars they use in cities in India that use compressed air. it is lighter and cheaper than an electric battery, and puts out no pollution. limited range, but seems to work well for city use.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)