lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

'81 Corolla liftback

Post by lannvouivre »

Niiiiice
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5444398272.html

Here's a screenshot for when listing closes:
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: '81 Corolla liftback

Post by dlb »

wow, very nice.

what does registered mean?
Tercel
My tercel:: 1984 FWD DLX

Post by Tercel »

dlb wrote:wow, very nice.

what does registered mean?
Annual car registration? I dunno why he wrote it twice in the ad.

That car is beautiful
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

we don't have that in canada, or at least in BC. is it different from being insured?
Tercel
My tercel:: 1984 FWD DLX

Post by Tercel »

dlb wrote:we don't have that in canada, or at least in BC. is it different from being insured?
yup, I believe in most or all states you need insurance, inspection, and then registration. registration is also sticker proof that you got inspected here in Texas.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Most states don't inspect and just need registration and insurance. Registration gets you the license plate.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

so you have to register it each year, and then get insurance? how much is registration?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

dlb wrote:so you have to register it each year, and then get insurance? how much is registration?
Insurance first then registration that car is prob around 100 bucks to register :oldgeek:
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i wonder what the point of registering every year is. if there were annual safety inspections, that would make sense, but if most states don't have it then i don't understand why they'd make you re-register every year. besides a cash grab, of course.

here, we register a vehicle into our name when we buy it, and it stays like that until we sell it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yes, we have to renew plates every 1-2 years depending on the state.

The whole point is tax money!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think the term "registered" is somewhat different north of the boarder. "Registured" usually means the licence is current and it can be lagally driven on public roads, it will also have to have a proper title that lists the owner. It can have a title, but not be registered, but not visa-versa.

It varies state to state, but usually the car can have the title in your name, and not be "registered". The term usually means that its license is current and can be legally driving on public roads.

It only needs to be registered if it is driven on public roads. Something driven only on a farm, or off road, for example, does not need a registration, but it should have a title, though that is not always a legal requirement, but it helps prove ownership.

Some states have annual or biannual safety and/or emissions inspections required too keep it licensed. In my state only in certain high density areas are emissions testing required to renew the registration. After 25 years old, no inspections are required at all (this is also true in many states). Some states only require an emissions tests and safety inspection when the title changes hands.

In our state a safety inspection is always required to get get a state title and registration if it comes from out of state, or it was declared "totaled" and you rebuild it and put it back on the road.

In California, even if it is off the road and not running (like a project car sitting in your garage), you either have to keep the title current and registered, or you have to pay to put it in "in-operable" status, or you get fined when you try and get it registered. I have bought a few cars in California cheap because there were more fines piled up than the car was worth because they did not put it in "in-op" status, and it could not pass emissions tests. Not a problem in my state because no emissions test is required, I only needed a title and bill of sale to get it licensed here.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)