John Lennon's R-R

Post here about...well...anything!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

John Lennon's R-R

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: John Lennon's R-R

Post by dlb »

yes, the royal BC museum is in victoria, on vancouver island. i saw this car there several years ago. i didn't know it was there so i was pretty surprised and curious. i think they had an entire beatles, or maybe rock music in general, exhibition at the time.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

"most famous car in the world"? ha! This is the most famous car in the world:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Here in Reno we have the National automobile Museum
http://www.automuseum.org/?m=0

Funny thing is i I'm a car guy and I've never been there :shock:

I think Peter is right the general lee is likely the most recognizable car ever :oldgeek:
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

it's funny, i think the 'most famous car' title probably varies widely based on demographics. i can see why the general lee would be the most famous car for you and peter, dan, but i think i'm with matt on the delorean from 'back to the future' as being the more famous -- those are the cars we each grew up with. so we also have to wonder what vehicle subsequent generations (millenials? gen y? i don't know what they're called) recognize most. dora the explorer's minivan? i don't know. i hope other people pipe up with their 'most famous car' vote.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

dlb wrote:it's funny, i think the 'most famous car' title probably varies widely based on demographics. i can see why the general lee would be the most famous car for you and peter, dan, but i think i'm with matt on the delorean from 'back to the future' as being the more famous -- those are the cars we each grew up with. so we also have to wonder what vehicle subsequent generations (millenials? gen y? i don't know what they're called) recognize most. dora the explorer's minivan? i don't know. i hope other people pipe up with their 'most famous car' vote.
Agreed :oldgeek:
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I live in Victoria and the first time I saw the Beatles car in the lobby of the museum, I wondered what it was. So it wasn't the most famous car in the world for me. I had never heard of it. For famous cars, I would agree with the Dukes of Hazard car and the Back to the Future car. I might add Herbie from the Love Bug movie (although maybe that's too obscure).
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

wow, that's nuts. i knew the john lennon car right away, and i'm not even a beatles fan. maybe i am and just don't know it.

what about this one?

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think the Deloream is also a good contender, it certainly would be recognizable almost anywhere.

I am not a particular fan of Dukes of Hazzard nor of Chargers, it is just the first thing that came to mind when I think "most famous car".

I am a Beatles fan and very well would have recognized the RR right away, but I am not keen on RR either. It is just not what I would think if someone said "most famous car" as the caretaker in the article stated, none of these are my most favorite.

Even in England, I would think the James Bond Austin Martin would be more famous. When I was in at an intern job for AirReasech one summer between collage semesters, there were these two cute English girls who's parents' connections got them plum summer jobs at the same plant where I worked, in Torrance California (under the guise of "international relations" with customers). I could not get enough of their English accents, me and a young single coworker did everything we could to get them get them to talk and laugh. I invited them to go sailing in a small boat I owned, they of course took us up on it. We picked them up and we drove to the marina, the one next to me kept playing with switches and buttons on my souped up Datsun 510. So I quipped, be careful, you would not want to set off the ejector seat. She immediately squealed with delight "you mean this is a Bond car!" It was a great day of sailing off the southern california coast. At that point, I could have gotten the cutest one into a short term romance, she certainly was very interested in me. Alas, I had a steady girl friend, who has now been my wife of 34 years. (My girlfriend never learned of that day of sailing with two cute girls from England, as far as she knew, I was out with co-workers that day.)

It just struck me as interesting that "Bond car" was the first thing that came to her mind. I remember it very clearly 35 years later.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

My votes:
1. WWII jeep
2. The DeLorean from the movie. OT, but up to 300 new ones will be made!
3. The Bond Aston Martin
4. Various, depending on your age demographic

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

Oh, I forgot: The A-Team van. Whenever I see an '80's van with a spoiler on it I think A-team.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Mark wrote:Oh, I forgot: The A-Team van. Whenever I see an '80's van with a spoiler on it I think A-team.
yessss!!!!!!

Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

So I did a Google search for "world's most famous car". The following came up:
-Kitt from Knight Rider (I don't think I would recognize this one unless the red lights were scrolling on the front and it was talking to me).
-Herbie from the Love Bug (so I'm not the only one who saw that when I was a kid).
-Various Batmobiles (although I don't think any of them were real production cars).
-James Bond Aston Martin.
-James Bond Lotus Esprit (underwater version).
-The Wayne's World AMC Pacer (I admit, I used to call them the "Wayne's World car" when I used to see them).
-The Ghost Busters wagon/ambulance (I don't know why I didn't think of that one before, especially with the Ghostbuster's logo on the side).
-The National Lampoon Griswald station wagon with the fake wood paneling on the sides.
-The Delorean from Back to the Future seemed to be the overall winner.
- Mad Max Interceptor! Maybe I'm stereotyping, but for Australians, this one must be #1. I remember seeing this on TV when I was a kid and Mel Gibson's voice was over-dubbed to a more American-sounding voice. His mouth didn't even move the same as the words.
-Dukes of Hazard (this didn't come up as often as I thought. Maybe the Confederate flag is awkward these days).

I'm surprised the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo and the A-Team van hardly ever came up.

There were some others that seemed more generic to me:
-Smokey and the bandit Trans Am.
-The Bullit mustang.
-Various Fast and Furious cars. Maybe I'm too old to see them as iconic.
-American Graffiti Ford Coupe (never saw it).
-The Big Lebowski's Gran Torino (great movie. Never noticed the car)
-Etc.... I think these cars weren't unique enough or didn't have logos or whatever so I don't identify them with anything in particular.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

Speaking of Back to the Future, I was in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii several years ago on a ship and there was a Delorean sitting in a parking lot on the jetty. It was originally covered by a tarp, but the tarp blew off and it was just sitting there exposed. One of the US sailors said it used to be hanging from the ceiling in a Planet Hollywood restaurant and it was actually from one of the movies. Someone bought it and it was supposed to be shipped somewhere, but it ended up just sitting in the parking lot. That was maybe in 2008. I assume it's still not sitting there.
I think the coolest thing about the Delorean was the stainless steel body. Rust? Go F@#* yourself.