"van life" Toyota 4x4 van

Post here about...well...anything!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

"van life" Toyota 4x4 van

Post by Petros »

I thought many of you can identify with this hash tag.

Alantic article states: It became a community of like-minded individuals who delight in the kind of adventure you can only get by traveling through the wilderness in a clunky, decades-old vehicle. In this documentary, we follow a group of #vanlife enthusiasts to uncover what the lifestyle means to them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/ ... b082015_02
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: "van life" Toyota 4x4 van

Post by teranfirbt »

There was a 4WD Toyota space van for sale in Dallas not too long ago, that video makes me wish the guy didn't want 6K for it...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the on-line article that featured this video showed a still picture an old Toy van 4x4 with a roof rack, but most of what was shown in the video were VW vanagans. There was a few toy vans in the background, but no toys featured. I am disappointed they did not feature the old Toy van, it is like only those with vw vans do this kind of thing.

That was all filmed locally in the puget sound area, and I have been to many of the places shown in it.
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Really inspiring video! Sum1 please make a tercel docu hahax
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Really inspiring video! Sum1 please make a tercel docu hahax
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Looks like a beautiful part of the world Petros. My wife and I have been rewatching Twin Peaks and find the scenery incredible.
One of my best mates has had two of those vans and the first was a constant nightmare even in Aus with non salted roads and reasonable condition. The second one has proved good so far but he is far from being a mechanic but fits the hipster surfer stereotype. They are really comfy to ride in and a great size when working well but personally I would rather have a Tarago egg shape (I think you call it previa) I think they are a really interesting design.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Some of the most spectacular scenery in all of North America is here in the PNW. It is one of the only reasons I live here and put up with all of idiotic political incompetence.

I really love the Previa AWD vans, I keep thinking some day I will find a beat one cheap and restore it. But I really have no need for a van any longer, they are much heavier and more costly to operate, and more work to repair, than the Tercel. So that may never happen.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I think a turbo diesel swap into a Toyota space van would be badass, just have to regear it for the diesel power band. Should be able to top 35 mpg and the newer 4 cyl turbo diesels make a decent amount of power.
I definitely miss the NW. Working for SpaceX is fun, but Texas sucks...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Mattel wrote:Looks like a beautiful part of the world Petros. My wife and I have been rewatching Twin Peaks and find the scenery incredible.
matt, jenn and i just got back from another road trip and even though we didn't plan on it, we wound up coming through snoqualmie WA yet again. i think this was our 4th time in that area, and we have loved it every time. we've stopped by all of the twin peaks sights there and they're awesome. snoqualmie falls are so powerful in person. do check it out sometime.

anyway, this time in snoqualmie, we noticed that tweed's diner (the real life double R) was closed and looked like it was being gutted. i was worried it was shutting down (and bummed we couldn't stop in there for pie) but the owner of a thrift store down the road told me that tweed's is being redone in the classic double R style in preparation for filming of the third season. i've known about the new season for months but didn't think of that when i saw the construction so i was relieved and THRILLED.

what is perhaps most interesting about this though is that jenn and i had already bought our stuff from the thrift store and were getting into the truck when the owner came out to us to tell me about the diner being restored -- totally unprompted, even though we hadn't mentioned anything about twin peaks while in the store or in convo with the guy. he just seemed to know that i was a TP nut. that was very TP in itself! very eerie.